Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had hedgehogs for about three years now and I've never ran into this problem. I have a pair of hedgehogs that I'm currently trying to breed. Now, before anyone loses their heads, yes they are healthy, they are both young (female-a year and 4 months, male- 9 months), they are both from unrelated parents and different breeders. And yes, they have pedigrees. Now my issue is, my male and female will follow each other around, and they are interested in each other and the male squeaks and sniffs her and he will get excited and his little but will start wiggling, but when it's time to mount her, it's like he doesn't know what to do? Instead of mounting her he will either push himself underneath her or he will lay down next to her? I've never had a male hedgehog do this before? My female doesn't really harass him or anything? She's successfully had a litter before so she knows the process and she lets him do whatever but this male acts like he doesn't know what he's doing or how to do it? Is there something I can do? My other male hedgehogs just knew what to do and did it? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I put my female in his cage. When I'm trying to breed them, I usually leave my hedgehogs together for about a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You're right they probably are going at it at night. I was just taken a bit because with other hedgehog pairs that I've put together, the male usually went right after the female as soon as i introduced them. He does squeak a lot more at night and I've been hearing more scuffling. I don't know, I guess he just doesn't like an audience? I'm just hoping he's getting the job done! haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you for responding! I feel a little better now. I was just used to seeing the action actually happen with past experiences. All that's left to do is wait and hope! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts