Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently got my new hedgie this Sunday from a local breeder. He was so nice and friendly loved to crawl all over me, snuggle between my arms etc. The first two nights he did fine he slept in his igloo. Came out run on his wheel, ate, pooped regular and so forth. But for the past two nights hes been just sleeping and not eating. I live in florida the temperature is fine. I cant tell if hes drinking either.When i take him out hes puffs up then come around and acts regular like always. but im starting to worry because of the food thing. I counted 100 kibbles last night and counted them this morning an he didnt eat. He looks fine he pooped last night. I dont know if he ran. But is this regular behavior should i worry? should i give him time?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hi there,

Just a couple questions:

What kind of food is he on?

Is this the same food he was on at the breeders?

Great job counting kibble!

How does his tummy look, bulging at all?

I don't know if others would suggest this but my thought is to give him a warm bath to see if that helps him poop, maybe he is constipated? For the past two days you mentioned he's only been sleeping and not eating, did he poop, that you can tell?

Hope you don't mind the questions, I think they will help people help you with him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for your response.

He's eating royal canin kitten/mixed with another cat food the breeder was feeding him.
She made the mix for him. He looks fine. I just got done playing with him. So im not sure what it could be. His stomach looks fine. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Put some of his counted kibble loose in his bed with him. Often those in a new home or ill will eat if food is in bed with them. IMO, unless he is filthy dirty or hasn't pooped in a few days, I would not stress him out with a bath.

As for temperature, it may be fine but make sure there is not a draft and also make sure the room is dark enough at night as well as bright enough for 12-14hours during the day. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nancy, ill definitely try that. I cooked up some chicken(no seasoning or spices) and he ate a few bites! I put him back in his bin and he went back to sleep. I noticed you said "make sure its bright enough in the day". Is that bad if i didn't before? ill definitely make sure it is now. i usually have my window blinds closed. For some reason I thought it my hedgie would like that.
thanks again to the both of you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you do not mind my asking, what breeder?
I am in Florida also and I am looking at hedgehog breeders.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I don't know what it's like in Florida at this time of year but here the days are often cloudy and dull and soon to be that four letter word.... SNOW! Daylight is often not bright enough so it is recommended to leave a light on beside the cage for 12-14 hours just to make sure. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts