Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first got Moon I had her strictly on her cat food that she'd been eating while at her breeder's home, and the breeder gave me a small bag of the mix until I buy some of my own. I still have about half the bag while I've been introducing fruits, vegetables and eggs to her. She absolutely LOVES apples, carrots and eggs. I cut everything up extremely fine tiny pieces, and leave the rest I don't use in the fridge for the rest of the week. I cook up 1 carrot, cut 1 apple and scramble 1 egg. Each night I probably give her quarter sized amounts of eggs, apples, carrots & then her cat food underneath, since she loves the fresh food more than her dry food. She does though eat the dry food as well by the time I wake up next morning, so she eats all of it.

She's probably around 3 months old, and I'm just wondering if it's totally okay giving her small amounts of apples, carrots, and eggs daily? I also introduced live mealworms to her a couple days ago, and I haven't given her any since. I'm wondering how many worms I could give her daily, or every other day. She was weighed at the vet a week 1/2 ago at 175 gr.

I know some people free feed their hedgehogs, and I do leave dry cat food in her dish at all times, but at night before I go to bed I put the fresh food in her bowl.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would try to vary it a bit more, or go every other night. None of the things you're feeding are majorly high in a particular nutrient that could be a problem. But apple & carrot are both fairly sugary, and depending on the ratio of the fresh food to balanced cat food, it could potentially cause an issue with calcium-phosphorus ratio. Commercial food is usually balanced somewhere between 1.5-1 and 2-1, with most animals needing 1-1 to 1.5-1, so it can cover some extras, but you still have to be careful.

With feeding extras & fresh foods, it'd really be better to feed more insects - they're far more important in their natural diet and they benefit from the chitin in insect exoskeletons. I would at least alternate the other fresh foods to every other day, or 3x/week, but give worms & other insects daily if you can. If you're concerned about weight, cut down on the other fresh foods first, but you can also alternate mealworms with lower fat options like roaches, crickets, and grasshoppers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would try to vary it a bit more, or go every other night. None of the things you're feeding are majorly high in a particular nutrient that could be a problem. But apple & carrot are both fairly sugary, and depending on the ratio of the fresh food to balanced cat food, it could potentially cause an issue with calcium-phosphorus ratio. Commercial food is usually balanced somewhere between 1.5-1 and 2-1, with most animals needing 1-1 to 1.5-1, so it can cover some extras, but you still have to be careful.

With feeding extras & fresh foods, it'd really be better to feed more insects - they're far more important in their natural diet and they benefit from the chitin in insect exoskeletons. I would at least alternate the other fresh foods to every other day, or 3x/week, but give worms & other insects daily if you can. If you're concerned about weight, cut down on the other fresh foods first, but you can also alternate mealworms with lower fat options like roaches, crickets, and grasshoppers.
The amount of the fresh fruit, veg and eggs is about the same amount as there is cat food in her dish. I really don't know how much to give her because I haven't been able to find anything, but I give her probably 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon of apples, 1/4 teaspoon of eggs and 1/4 teaspoon of carrots. Though like I said I've noticed she eats the fresh food first, and then hours later will eat the dry cat food.

I've never really dealt with all this extra extra research with a pet before, if you could further explain what you mean by "depending on the ratio of the fresh food to balanced cat food, it could potentially cause an issue with calcium-phosphorus ratio. Commercial food is usually balanced somewhere between 1.5-1 and 2-1, with most animals needing 1-1 to 1.5-1, so it can cover some extras, but you still have to be careful."

I know pretty much everything about owning a hedgehog and care, etc. But whenever I've looked up how much dry food or how much fresh foods to feed, nobody seems to have an answer. I do have minimal dry food in her dish at all times but I do add more at night, and I assume she'll eat until she's full she won't overeat since sometimes there's food left in the morning. But the whole commercial food ratio confuses me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts