Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday night something happened to my hedgehog Luna. I came home at 11:30 that night and I went to go feed her and she was waiting for me on her lower level. I saw that she had been anointing herself and I cleaned her off and then changed her water and fed her. She has a hard time eating her kibble so I add water to it and she was eager to eat and when I added the water it came out really fast and Luna got some up her her nose and she sneezed it out right away and ate some. She went up her tube to hide until I turned off all of my lights like normal. I crawled in bed and luna started coming down her tube and something wasn't right so I went and checked on her and she wasn't moving she was stuck in the tube so I grabbed her and she wasn't moving at all and I ran to the bathroom and was rubbing her tummy and patting her back cause I thought she choked or something. My mom swears she wasn't breathing. After think Luna was completely limp and lifeless. She would only scratch her head if you moved her to the side. She was like this for 3 hours. Now she is unable to walk. Her legs seem to function okay but they either cant support her weight or its her balance. She also isn't eating or drinking on her own. I feel like she might have had a stroke?
-Kylie and Luna

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Sounds like she should see a vet ASAP. Have you been to a vet yet? It's difficult to say what's going on because it could be various things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and he said that her heart and lungs sounded fine. He also gave us an antibiotic (baytril) for a possible ear infection and then Meloxicam for WHS but she wasn't showing any signs for WHS

·
Registered
528 Posts
WHS does NOT act like that. This does sound more like a stroke or neurological episode. Meloxicam is a muscle relaxer/pain reliever and may not be the best thing for muscle weakness. You need a second opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think it was WHS but thought I would try it to see if it would help her if she was in any pain. She has only had 2 doses of the meloxicam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're going to another vet tomorrow. I'm really worried cause she's not eating/drinking and shes really fighting when I try to feed her with the syringe. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the new vet yesterday was pretty sure she had a stroke and put her on a steroid. Hopefully she starts to walk again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay now I'm worried again because she hasn't pooped since Tuesday and I don't think she's peed since then either. She's getting her appetite back and she's drinking on her own sometimes and I give her some with a syringe too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Luna is starting to feel like her normal self! Last night I put her litter box back into her home and she finally did her business! And today she peed and pooped on my lap...a very bittersweet moment. Thank you everyone for your help. I really hope she will make a full recovery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts