Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a new poster and have had my hedgehog for about a week. We keep Nigel in the living room and I haven't vacuumed since we got him. We also have cats that I am allergic to, so I haven't been able to breathe so well for the past couple of days.

Nigel is still getting used to us, and I don't want to scare him to death. If I take him upstairs, do you think that is far enough not to upset him while we vacuum and dust?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
congrats on your hedgie :D maybe an idea seeing as he is just settling in but otherwise I just hoover etc around mine - doesnt do them good to be in silence and good breeders usually introduce them for a variety of noises before hand too so it shouldnt bother him too much really and they get used to you being around when they get to hear you

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I think it'd be a good idea to take him upstairs as well. I've heard some hedgehogs aren't bothered by the noise of a vacuum, but I always take Lily (while she's in her pigloo, sleeping) out of her cage and set her out of my room while I vacuum. Our vacuum is also horribly loud, so it may be different if you have a relatively quiet one. But I didn't want to scare her or hurt her ears, so she goes out in the hallway while I vacuum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I just put his entire cage in the second bedroom and shut the door. He hates being handled during the day and he didn't seem to mind being moved to the other room. Maybe once we get a quieter vacuum, we'll leave him in the room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts