Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im new to the forum so Hi my hedgi Amethyst shes about a year old now i got her at cregslist (i know bad idea but dident know anywhere else) so shes amazing i love her but something ive noticed is that when i wake her up she has green crusty or sometimes just goo is it eye boogers or an infection im worried for her
Ill try to show a picture ( i have no idea how URLs work)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Green goo on her eyes is not normal. I would get her to a vet as soon as possible to get it checked out. In the mean time, what kind of cage are you housing her in, what kind of bedding is she on, what are you feeding her, and how are you heating her cage?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theres no vets for hedgis near me. she has a large plastic cage with shredded newspaper bedding high quality cat food and she sheds alot

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
It doesn't have to be a special vet, any vet can treat an eye infection. If you don't get it treated she could lose her eyes or the infection can spread. Newspaper is horrible bedding, it's cold when wet and dusty when shredded.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but they dont do hedgehogs im worried for her it happens everyday and i wake her up to clean it and i am planning to change the bedding (could you just use what other animals or humans use to treat eye infections

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
No you can't just use something for humans or animals on her eyes. Have you talked to the vets in your area? If you tell us where you are maybe someone knows a vet you can try. You need to change the bedding right away not sometime later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im in amesterdam new york why do i need to change her bedding and do you know how to post pictures i want to but it wants a URL

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The hedgehog welfare society has a list of vets that see hedgehogs on their website.
You may need to redefine local to find a vet.
The reason you need to change the bedding has already been answered above. It also isn't helping the situation any.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the thing i dont understand is could it be eye boogers its when i wake her up she has crusty or goopy green stuff near where tears come out of its been happining for a long time now nothing has changed and shes still the same as usual
by all means i do want to see if its serious but is it, its been moths shes had it it seems like eye boogers since its always when i wake her up and my gaurdian says its irritation and that i should just change her bedding and clean her cage more

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
While those things do need to happen, a vet visit is still important. Once you notice a health issue it's a bad idea to let it go unchecked. It's better to go and find out that it's nothing than to not go and have it become an emergency. Emergency vet visits are always far more expensive than a regular vet visit. Eye boogers in hedgehogs are not normal. Really, anything green coming out of any animal is cause for concern. Hedgehogs hide illness very well, so you can't rely on them showing you they feel bad.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
she sheds alot
Define a lot. Fur or quills or both? How much in a day?

While your guardian may be correct that it's irritated and the bedding needs changed more frequently, and to a better product. They are wrong in that being the problem. Eye boogers are not normal, and especially to the level you are describing. Green coming from anywhere is generally a sign of infection.

We don't tell people to go to the vet for no reason. It costs money, sometimes you leave with more questions than answers, someone might have to take time off work ect... There isn't much "in the meantime do this to see if it improves" or "wait and see how it progresses" suggestions because at this point those aren't good options. The reason why is because people with more experience than you have feel it is in your hedgehogs best interest to get this checked out by a vet.
Don't get me wrong, you need to improve your husbandry at least in the bedding department.

You say there aren't any vets local that see hedgehogs. According to google maps, Amsterdam and Albany are about 30-40 minutes away from each other. Looking at this link http://www.hedgehogwelfare.org/vets_by_state.asp?s=NY it appears there is a vet that sees hedgehogs in Albany. You might want to give them a call to see when they can get your hedgehog in to be seen. Make sure you tell them exactly what is going on and when it started.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
We can't quote costs for vet care. Every vet charge a different amount so you need to call them and find out. Not getting vet care because of the cost is irresponsible and can actually lead to charges of animal abuse in many states. If you can't care for your hedgehog properly then you need to consider finding someone that can. It's not fair for your hedgehog to suffer because you can't pay for a vet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We can't quote costs for vet care. Every vet charge a different amount so you need to call them and find out. Not getting vet care because of the cost is irresponsible and can actually lead to charges of animal abuse in many states. If you can't care for your hedgehog properly then you need to consider finding someone that can. It's not fair for your hedgehog to suffer because you can't pay for a vet.
fair enogh ill try to see what i can do and post what happens

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
-UPDATE-
So i finally managed to call Albanys vet i scheduled a wellness visit that SHOULD be 52 (my familly dosent trust vets and i think they may overreact and give a huge bill i can only hope and they have alot of good reviews so wish us luck and that they wont make it any higher than 52 (just wanted to update for any of you guys that may be worried her trip should be on monday the 18th ill have to skip half my time at FM)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I would prepare your family though; the office visit will be 52. If there are any diagnostic tests that need run, there will be a charge for that. If any medications are prescribed, there will be a charge for that. The $52 is not going to be an all encompassing price. That's just for their time to see you and look at your animal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so i visit the vet they were great and the price was somewhat reasonable but affordable
they checked Amethyst Dr.Jarvis said it could be a yeast infection due to an allergy in her food (i think, im not very good at english) so she took samples and shes going to call somewhere this week and in the meantime i should probably change her food but other then that she should be healthy, she said that the only thing strange would be her skin poop and eyes that are probably from the same thing but i dont know shell call and see if the tests are positive or not

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so they tested and shes parasite negative so it means i should change her food so thats going to be a pain

1 - 20 of 42 Posts