Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Im a newbie at taking care of hedgehogs.
Ive had my hedgehogs for almost 2 months now.
I have one female and one male.
Theyve only been together once.
And now, my female, Pichi, unexpectedly gave birth and i dont
know what to do. :(
She never had a PVC pipe/igloo because I usually
give her paperbags.
Now that she's given birth. I dont know if I should still
put paperbags in her cage or just leave her be.

Also, I can see that there's one dead baby inside.
Should i remove it?
Oh and I think she also rejected one baby because she left it in
the far corner opposite to where she is.
Should i pick the baby up?

I really need your help.:( i dont want to be a bad owner. </3

·
Registered
179 Posts
Okay so make sure mommy has enough food and water, don't remove the dead baby yet, hedgehogs will often take care of that themselves
and scoop the baby that seems to be rejected back to her nest. However it may be cold which may cause her to reject it again
don't disturb anything in the cage and leave her in peace, there are lots of these types of posts in the breeders and baby section on the forum which will cover you for pretty much every type of emergency there is, so go through them.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Here's the emergency baby thread - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/24-breeding-babies-help/6160-emergency-baby-advice.html

Other than that, I don't want to say much more since I'm not a breeder. You should only take advice from experienced breeders at this point. I'll message a couple of our main breeders on the forum & see if that gets them over here sooner to help you out.

Welcome to the forum though, and sorry it's under stressful circumstances! In the future, definitely keep your male and female separated at ALL times - no shared playtimes, and make sure cages are escape proof. As you've found, they mate quickly, so do not ever have them out together again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, can I move her cage? 'Cause our neighbors can be heard very loudly. Im afraid it might disturb her or stress her out. Planning to bring her cage to our top floor.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Do not move her cage until one of the experienced breeders logs in & can see your question. You should also keep everyone out of the room she's in for right now - she needs as much privacy as you can give her or she could potentially eat the babies. If you have a wheel in the cage, make sure you remove that before you leave her alone.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If her cage is where it's always been, leave it be. She will be used to the noise and moving the cage would probably be more stressful to her than leaving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. We already left my room.
Really, thank you so much. I panicked and
it was a good thing I thought of posting here
first before anything else. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
so i had two hedgehog. the male was 10 months and passed a way. the female is 5 months. i had then in the same cage for 4 months. the female has been eating more and stared to make a nest. how do i know if she is pregnant or not????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts