Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had her for half a month now, she has been pooping fine the first two weeks, but three days ago I found her wheel clean and pee/poopless (well I found 1 peanut sized poop this morning, but A LOT less than usual). She is not potty trained, and I can't seem to find poop anywhere else. She seems normal and still runs on her wheel (not as much as usual but still runs). I find her running around 12 and stopping around 12:30, then doesn't run again anytime near 2 (I fall asleep at 2, and I don't hear her running). I am not sure if she runs at all between 2-9, since I am usually sleeping. The temperature is 76 f, and she does have a blanket to snuggle in. She does seem to be eating and drinking fine, maybe a little less food and a tad bit more water than usual, but still half a handful of her usual cat food and 2-3 mealworms. When I took her out to the park for the first time yesterday ( the day before that?) she pooped on me thrice, the first two being normal poop and pee, but the third time being green, foaming poop. I believe it was because she never went outside much though. I honestly don't know what's happening, everything seems normal but she just doesn't poop on the wheel! Please help!
P.S. I did try to feed her canned pumpkin, but she just refused to eat it! She's really picky in terms of food, she doesn't eat anything but mealworms and cat food. No vegetables, no fruit, no meat, nothing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been feeding live, and no, I do not a lighting system or heating set up. She has been fine without it. The previous owner also didn't use a lighting system, so I don't think it is the temperature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) I live in Canada, and it is quite warm over here. The temperature has always been the same from the day I got her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in Canada, and it is quite warm over here. The temperature has always been the same from the day I got her.
I would definitely get a lighting setup. And if you really don't think you need a heating setup, at least get a thermometer and make sure the temperature is between 73-80° F.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a thermometer in my house :) I am very sensitive to the cold as well, so I ensure not only for my hedgie but myself as well that the temperature is always 76 f

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You need a lighting schedule ASAP. It is super important. Hedgehogs need 12-14 hours of light. Whether it's from a lamp or ceiling light. Sunlight is not sufficient. Also you need a thermometer for the cage and make sure it's 74-79 degrees. The thermometer in the cage and house are different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:( I wish it was the lighting and temperature. My thermometer is quite close to my hedgie's cage, somewhere around half a meter to a 30cm ruler. I don't think the temperature will change that abruptly between 50cm or less. My daily workspace is also very close, maybe 20cm off from the thermometer. I usually light my lamp on when I'm working, just because the sun doesn't get much contact with my area, and that's somewhere around 10-12h of lighting a day. My brother also works near my hedgehog, so he has the ceiling light on for quite a while too. I did put another lamp just in case, but it didn't seem to do anything. Our family always keeps the temperature the same, and even if it was the temperature, there would be no reason for her to not be in the "non-pooping" mode the first 2 weeks we got her and 2 weeks later when she's pretty much use to the environment. I don't think she's going into hibernation period, her belly is quite warm, she eats and runs as usual and she has none of the other symptoms mentioned in other forums. Good news is, I found a few other peanut sized normal poop this morning under her wheel. I have also tried turning on the heater, but it did nothing except for making my mom complain. Any more advice or suggestions? Thank you SquirtleSquirt and cloverhedgie7 for mentioning though :(

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hey :) ~ how are her nails? Maybe they are a bit too long and this may be making it a little uncomfortable for her to run perhaps? Maybe try giving them a trim and see if it makes a difference ^^

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
If she still still not pooping normally then you need to make a vet appointment. Reduced pooping or not pooping at all can be a sign of a partial or complete bowel obstruction which can quickly become a medical emergency. I would be starting to worry at this point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) Thank you for your suggestion, nikki. I will observe Pepper for a few more days, if the situation is still not getting any better, I will definitely take her to the vet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late late post, I know this was three months ago but I just wanted to inform that she did return to normal after a few days, and that I did not bring her to the vet before that. I still had no idea what went on with my baby. Maybe she just had a bad stomach or something. Oh well. :D And thank you for those who replied, she is now healthy and pooping like a maniac.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts