Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 3 yr old hedgie ( Natasha Romanoff) has not been eating very much and noticed she had green poops in her cage. She has lost weight and just barely eating baby food. I took her to the vet and put her on 2 antibiotics. I. Flagyl to clear her poops and another antibiotic to clear any other infection. I don’t think she is getting better but she is very active still. I am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
Hershey does not really like being on its back and hates being belly rubbed… But still soo cute!
3 Posts
It’s very good that your hedgehog is being active! But if you are experiencing worry for your lil’ hedgie still, its good to double check with the vet again to make sure their health is getting better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I'm sorry about your hedgehog! Mine had something very similar to this a couple months ago. It took us three trips to multiple different vets, who put her on Metronidazole and Baytril, as well as Bene-Bac probiotic. We also had to syringe feed her EmerAid IC Omnivore. She lost over 50% of her body weight, but has gained it all back and more! It took mine about two weeks of syringe feeding to get her better. I hope this helped and that your hedgie is feeling better soon!

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
How long has Natasha been on the medication? It can take a bit for antibiotics to really kick in. If she's been on it for a bit though and you've seen no improvement, call your veterinarian's office and provide them with a condition update. Your vet may not need to see the hedgehog again to prescribe another treatment. Occasionally we see resistant strains that need a different medication to treat it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanna thank everyone for the replies. She has been on the round of antibiotics for 10 days finished on 1/5/22. I have started syringe feeding her baby food chicken or turkey. She has improved since syringe feeding her. She feels like she gained weight and is eating more on her own. I wanna thank everyone for your help. I will weigh Natasha tomorrow and see if gained.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts