Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my little benny out of his cage and underneath his little arm is a red swollen patch! I'm really worried it's really red and it seems like he is in pain. Please help! Is this normal? And what should I do to help him?

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would get him to a vet asap, but my experiences are with hedgehog mastitis. And that doesn't happen with boys. He should be seen though. It looks like a sub dermal infection to my uneducated eyeball. If you have an emergency vet, go there? If not, and if he were mine, I would put a paste of baking soda and water on the spot to help draw the infection. If there is no broken skin.
But my first instinct is to get him seen by a professional as soon as possible especially if he is in pain.

Professional hedgehog eyeballs please? Maybe it's just a scrape?

·
Banned
533 Posts
It is in a place he could of easily chewed on himself if he is uncomfortable, or his skin itches or hurts. Hedgehogs will bite them self if they have a fungal or bacterial infection or allergies. Hopefully it isn't self mutilation because that could be very very dangerous. I would get him into a vet as soon as possible, hopefully tomorrow morning. None of the people are vets on this forum so it's really important to seek some professional help! I hope he feels better and you can get some answers! I am sending good thoughts your way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts