Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby Slash is now home with me :D It feels like I've been waiting forever and now my little baby is here!

I named him Sandslash after the pokemon, who looks kind of like a hedgie. I started calling him Slash and it has stuck... I don't know when I'll ever call him Sandslash, but it's cool none-the-less.

My stomach was tumbling the whole day out of nervousness :roll:

He has had 3 really good poops from the time he's been here (one hour). None of them have been green so I guess he wasn't too stressed from the ride over here. He didn't ball up when I first held him (good sign!!), but he did put his visor quills down and huffed at me once- I thought it was pretty cute actually! All in all he's been a real trooper. He's scratching a lot, but he's 8 weeks old so I expected that. He's been busy sniffing around his cage... he ate a little bit of kibble... drank some water... and he's been under his wheel practically the whole time. He tried the igloo out but once I put the wheel in he hasn't looked at the igloo since!! lol I left him alone for now hoping he will go back to sleep for a little while, because me just being in the room seemed to be making him nervous. I sang to him a little and put my hand in the cage and he sniffed it!... and retreated, ha. lol I understand he's nervous and scared... it makes me a little sad to know that he probably misses his brothers :( but I'm going to give him all the love I can give and I hope that it'll make him feel better.

I also want to say that Katrina (Gnarly) from Howell Hogs was amazing and that anyone in NJ (or nearby) should really check her out! She answered every email I sent her, every question, concern - you name it. She gave me a bunch of pics of him growing up :) and gave me some toys for him and a little blankie for bonding time (& food of course). She's a real sweetheart and really cares about her hedgies.

I won't be taking new pics tonight.. maybe tomorrow depending on how he's feeling. He seems pretty social, just confused!

I will post some pics that K sent me though....

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theres a bunch more pics... but I don't want to overload. And sorry that those were not in any particular order! :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. He's really handsome! He has a bunch of white quills coming in as far as I can see (more towards his bum actually ... :lol: ) and I just went to check on the temp in his cage and he's still sniffing under his wheel. lol

·
Registered
508 Posts
that last pic is sooo cute! :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
He is very very cute! Glad to hear he's settling in well. Best of wishes to both of you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
He's adorable! I love that chubby little, "Hey look--I'm a computer mouse!!" stage.

Just as a "for what it's worth," my hedgehogs rejected full-sized igloos until they were grown, and preferred to wedge themselves under their wheels, the litter box, etc. I finally just put several smaller hog-friendly objects in the cage and let them pick one. They seem to like the darkness and some pressure against their backs. I had a couple take to a flower pot, one liked an arc-shaped fake hollow log, and Spirit likes a cheap plastic bowl.

The igloo was about 10-12 dollars--the bowl was more like 49 cents. :roll:

The less you pay for an object, the more they like it.

(Naturally, your mileage may vary.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
padawanslacker said:
He's adorable! I love that chubby little, "Hey look--I'm a computer mouse!!" stage.

Just as a "for what it's worth," my hedgehogs rejected full-sized igloos until they were grown, and preferred to wedge themselves under their wheels, the litter box, etc. I finally just put several smaller hog-friendly objects in the cage and let them pick one. They seem to like the darkness and some pressure against their backs. I had a couple take to a flower pot, one liked an arc-shaped fake hollow log, and Spirit likes a cheap plastic bowl.

The igloo was about 10-12 dollars--the bowl was more like 49 cents. :roll:

The less you pay for an object, the more they like it.

(Naturally, your mileage may vary.)
Thanks!
Thats what I was thinking. His igloo is huge in comparison to him. But now he's actually using it. I cut up some fleece for a blankie to put in there and he likes it better now. Also I changed the paper towel and put it more securely under the wheel so he wouldn't try to go under it. I hope it works out a little better now. If it doesn't then I'm going to try out a smaller igloo. I also think I need smaller bowls because he is so small that he keeps putting himself in there! lol

I wouldn't have a problem with him sleeping under the wheel normally but as soon as he pooped (near his food bowl) I placed it under his wheel and he actually continued to go there! (Proud moment) and then he started going under the paper towel moving the poop everywhere! lol. I just don't want him to get too comfy sleeping in his potty area.

Just so everyone knows- for whatever reason he will smell my hand, but then retract... then he smelled my boyfriend's hand and licked it, and annointed! ... I was a little jealous lol. I rinsed my hands the best I could to remove any scent that might be on there, but it seemed like he still smelled something he didn't like. I thought he was afraid at first, but he seems really social... I just don't think he cares for my scent. :?

·
Registered
289 Posts
OMG!! What a CUTIE :shock: ,love the yawning pic :eek: !!!!!! your soooooooo lucky :D .If you wake up and your hedgies gone...its because i took him....jk. i wish you the best of luck with your little hedgie,congrats!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Awwwwwwww
-Diies from cuteness overload-
Hes SO cute!!
Lucky. I think slash is a great name! Dont foget to always update us with pics :)
Congrats! Isnt hedgie love amazing?
Im so happy for you :)

** Oh yes and that 'happy birthday mommy' picture did gnarly take that for you? :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wold really want to see the pic really bad but i dont have a facebook so could some one please upload the pic to tinypic.com or something please

1 - 20 of 36 Posts