Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
My hedgehog had baby's yesterday but 2 die i just want to know why that happened
Welcome here! I am very sorry about the babies, that's terrible! But that's too little information to know anything for sure, please elaborate (and I am saying it while I am not a breeder). Are you a breeder or was it an unwanted pregnancy of your hedgehog?

·
Registered
165 Posts
No I am not a breeder so far is 1 still a live
Hi Rubyn again. Since we still don't know about the circumstances - e. g. how old is the mother, is she in good condition? - it is really hard to tell what went wrong. It can be that the mother could not provide enough nourishment in the womb, or that the babies had genetic defects or that you disturbed the mother when/after she was giving birth and ate or hurt the babies! It's very important not to disturb the mother in the beginning and leave her be, I know so much. :( But hedgehog babies might be born dead even if you and the hedgehog mother did your best, it happens from time to time.

But you have to avoid that it's happening again - if you don't have years of experience with or at least read up on breeding hedgehogs, it's obviously easy to make mistakes. That's why it's so important that hedgehogs aren't bred like street cats. If you got the mother hedgehog in a pregnant state, contact the previous owner and ask them questions. If your hedgehogs are the opposite sex, and it's their babies please please keep them separate in the future! Meaning, they shouldn't be in the same closed space even for a minute.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wanted to add- please don't feel discouraged to post here, I am sometimes reacting too quickly as you see and you came seeking for help. But I see it happening so many times that hedgehog babies are born and the owner is unprepared for it. I hope everything turns out fine for the last remaining baby. But someone more experienced then I am should help you on that one. Do you see the mother taking care of the baby? You might need to start syringe feeding it yourself if it's become neglected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is still a live I see it moves around but I don't want to bothering her so I just look if the baby still in her sleeping place because the other one's she move out with her nose.
I just go and have a look but can't see anything because she closed the hall of her sleeping place so I can just pray he will stay a live

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't do anything I just remove the male and live her alone I only put water and food in for her but later the morning 2 baby laying outside her sleeping place the one was cold and the other one was still warm but die I leave it there till the next morning then I see she put them far from her sleeping place then i take them out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh it sounds like she rejected the two other babies :( I really don't know if you should take the last baby out or just trust the mother. But you saw it at least once- was she breastfeeding?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't do anything I just remove the male and live her alone I only put water and food in for her but later the morning 2 baby laying outside her sleeping place the one was cold and the other one was still warm but die I leave it there till the next morning then I see she put them far from her sleeping place then i take them out.
Thank you for contributing. Your suggestions are beneficial to my hedgehog management.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts