Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new Hedgie mommy. I have wanted one for about 5 years now and finally having one is supper exciting! A Facebook friend was selling him and I took the opportunity right away (with my parents permission). As a new mommy to a hedgie I have multiple questions.

1. Wipes. He runs on his wheel every night and poops/pees A LOT! I clean the wheel and bin under it in the morning with unscented baby wipes and then run it under hot water and put it back. In the morning though he always has nasty feet covered in poop and his fur smells like pee. So i started putting him in my sink with little water to just wash off his feet. I've read that to much of this can dry out his feet. So I was wondering if I could use these wipes instead of bathing his feet everyday? The wipes says hypoallergenic real-cloth wipes, aloe and vitamin E, cushiony texture for superior cleaning, alcohol free, made with botanic fibers and cotton enhanced. Is this OK to use on his feet?

2. Bedding. When i got him he came with wood shavings and they smelt bad in my room and every time i picked him up he would have them stuck in his quills and it got everywhere in my room. I really got tired of it so I had my mom use some fabric to just stitch together while i researched best bedding to use. We didn't have fleece so we used cotton fabric with as little stitching as possible. I gave him a blanket made out of the same material which he loves! I have read fleece is the best. Just curious as to why and where can i get some where i can buy the liner already made for me or multiple options of DIY. Also i put in my normal laundry with the towels and its scented soap but he doesn't seem to be bothered with it. So is it ok if i still use it?

3. Nails. I have yet to clip any of his nails yet. I AM SO SCARED. he is still pretty shy around me but they do seem pretty long. How do i cut his nails? I have ready way to many that I am starting to become pariniod about it and stressing me out. I just need a simple method that wont make him so scared of me. Also how often should i do it?

4. Bath. I have given him one actual bath he seemed to like in general and i put water on his back but i didnt have any soap. Although after i could actually tell he was a lot cleaner than before. The lady who had him before said she never put him in water at all. I was wondering what is the best kind of soap to use on them. Obviously not to wash him like more than a month because they can dry out pretty fast. Also i try to get his underside/belly cleaned while i clean his teeth mostly because he smells like pure pee. :( But with just water the smell obviously doesn't go away. Any tips?

5. My room is naturally warm and so i know they need it to be warm for them. I don't have a temperature thing is it like a thing i should absolutely have? I think the temperature is ok for him cause he seems pretty fine in it sleeping and stuff. I just worry about while he is running and exercising he might get to hot. I usually like it warmer than most people in my room but during the summer i tend to like the fan on and im afraid to turn it on because it might get to cold for him.

6. My room also smells really bad. I change the bedding everyday and I know he himself smells bad because I can't get that pee smell off of him. Is there some kind of air freshener that wont give off to much of a scent that will bother my hedgie but will help eliminate the odor?

I might have other questions pop up time to time but these are the main ones currently really nudging me and I am either finding it hard to find these questions or something of that sort. Thanks so much for anyone who answers! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! These answers are helping me a lot with my new journey with my hedgehog. I just want to be a perfect mommy. And its so hard with him being so shy. I am being as patient as can be. :)
Also I have a question about other animals. I have 2 dogs. One could be less interested in it and when I did try to introduce the hedgehog to her she accepted it and let it crawl around her ignoring it. My other one is a Boxer and will whine at my door and has tried to paw and mouth my hedgehog anytime she is near him. Any hints as to what to do? Its been a week and my dog hasn't left the door.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts