Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new Hedgie mommy. I have wanted one for about 5 years now and finally having one is supper exciting! A Facebook friend was selling him and I took the opportunity right away (with my parents permission). As a new mommy to a hedgie I have multiple questions.

1. Wipes. He runs on his wheel every night and poops/pees A LOT! I clean the wheel and bin under it in the morning with unscented baby wipes and then run it under hot water and put it back. In the morning though he always has nasty feet covered in poop and his fur smells like pee. So i started putting him in my sink with little water to just wash off his feet. I've read that to much of this can dry out his feet. So I was wondering if I could use these wipes instead of bathing his feet everyday? The wipes says hypoallergenic real-cloth wipes, aloe and vitamin E, cushiony texture for superior cleaning, alcohol free, made with botanic fibers and cotton enhanced. Is this OK to use on his feet?

2. Bedding. When i got him he came with wood shavings and they smelt bad in my room and every time i picked him up he would have them stuck in his quills and it got everywhere in my room. I really got tired of it so I had my mom use some fabric to just stitch together while i researched best bedding to use. We didn't have fleece so we used cotton fabric with as little stitching as possible. I gave him a blanket made out of the same material which he loves! I have read fleece is the best. Just curious as to why and where can i get some where i can buy the liner already made for me or multiple options of DIY. Also i put in my normal laundry with the towels and its scented soap but he doesn't seem to be bothered with it. So is it ok if i still use it?

3. Nails. I have yet to clip any of his nails yet. I AM SO SCARED. he is still pretty shy around me but they do seem pretty long. How do i cut his nails? I have ready way to many that I am starting to become pariniod about it and stressing me out. I just need a simple method that wont make him so scared of me. Also how often should i do it?

4. Bath. I have given him one actual bath he seemed to like in general and i put water on his back but i didnt have any soap. Although after i could actually tell he was a lot cleaner than before. The lady who had him before said she never put him in water at all. I was wondering what is the best kind of soap to use on them. Obviously not to wash him like more than a month because they can dry out pretty fast. Also i try to get his underside/belly cleaned while i clean his teeth mostly because he smells like pure pee. :( But with just water the smell obviously doesn't go away. Any tips?

5. My room is naturally warm and so i know they need it to be warm for them. I don't have a temperature thing is it like a thing i should absolutely have? I think the temperature is ok for him cause he seems pretty fine in it sleeping and stuff. I just worry about while he is running and exercising he might get to hot. I usually like it warmer than most people in my room but during the summer i tend to like the fan on and im afraid to turn it on because it might get to cold for him.

6. My room also smells really bad. I change the bedding everyday and I know he himself smells bad because I can't get that pee smell off of him. Is there some kind of air freshener that wont give off to much of a scent that will bother my hedgie but will help eliminate the odor?

I might have other questions pop up time to time but these are the main ones currently really nudging me and I am either finding it hard to find these questions or something of that sort. Thanks so much for anyone who answers! :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congrats on your new hedgie! One of the things you frequently addressed was baths and bath related things. I just want to start off by saying I love to cuddle with my two babies and I very frequently have them in the bed with me. Obviously, poopy boots are an issue because it's my BED and although I do wash very often, that's just not sanitary. That said, I give my babies foot baths very frequently. In theory, this could potentially be an issue because like you said, dry skin is a factor. So let me give you some advice. #1. Litter "training": i say training like this because let's be honest, hedgehogs do not like to be trained! They are fairly stubborn creatures. However, the better they are about using their litter to potty instead of the wheel, the cleaner their feet will be. Keep in mind though almost all hedgies will use their wheel to potty on despite being litter trained. Some are just better about it than others #2. Nail length: the biggest issue you're going to have regarding poopy boots is poo getting trapped in the nails. It's a pain to get out and actually leads to more poop adhering to the feet. The best way to combat this is keep those toes manicured. The easiest way to trim them is during bath time. Be patient! Your first few goes may be painstakingly long. The better groomed the nail, the easier it will be to prevent the poop from sticking #3. Choice of substrate: what you use as a bedding and litter choice can actually make a difference in the health and cleanliness of your hog. Really dusty substrates can be drying to the skin, cause allergies, and get them dirtier faster. Your best bet is to choose fleece liners for your bedding and a litter that your hedgie likes and will use with low dust. If you experiment with a lot of litters and substrates like I do, you will find that some do a better job of scrubbing your hedgies feet as he steps on and off the wheel, kind of like a mat in front of your door to catch derbis off of shoes. #4. Foot baths aren't full baths: only the feet and belly needs to be cleaned for a foot bath. Save the back for full baths, as this is the driest part of the hedgehog (along with the ears). You also don't need to use soap for a foot bath. This too contributes to drying. Just a baby toothbrush and warm water is all you need. #5. Flax oil: great for anytime your hedgehog is in water, flax oil can help combat dryness and bring out that hedgie glow! Just squirt a tiny amount in the water and swirl around. This can be used for swimming, bathing, or feet cleaning. It can also be given orally in the food or put on the ears for extra moisture. Remember not to overdo it! A little goes a long way. If you find yourself hard up for flax oil, coconut or olive will do as well.

These tips are my go to for fighting dry skin and poopy boots. As a cleanser for full baths you can use AVEENO baby shampoo or just regular oatmeal. I give my hedgies full baths once every 2 weeks and have little issue with dry skin. Hope this answers some of your questions!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Fleece is often used for bedding because it's soft, absorbent and doesn't need to be hemmed. If you use other fabrics such as cotton you will need to make sure they are hemmed so that there are no loose threads. You can be as fancy or as easy as you want to be with liners. Some people just cut fleece to fit and other people make or buy liners that are more than one layer thick or some that have absorbent fabric in the middle. It's really up to you how you want to do the liners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! These answers are helping me a lot with my new journey with my hedgehog. I just want to be a perfect mommy. And its so hard with him being so shy. I am being as patient as can be. :)
Also I have a question about other animals. I have 2 dogs. One could be less interested in it and when I did try to introduce the hedgehog to her she accepted it and let it crawl around her ignoring it. My other one is a Boxer and will whine at my door and has tried to paw and mouth my hedgehog anytime she is near him. Any hints as to what to do? Its been a week and my dog hasn't left the door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@The dog issue: I'd say you'll just have to wait for him/her to give up. I'd suggest introducing them so the dog can satisfy his/her curiosity, but it sounds like you have done that already. Keep your hedgie away from that dog. I doubt he/she means harm but anything could happen and your hedgie could get really scared. Just be firm and your dog SOMEDAY will have to leave your door lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts