Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1 Why did my hedgehog anoint with carpet?? this is the first time shes done it ever (that ive seen)

Question 2 How should i bond with my hedgie and get her more chill in my hands

Question 3 What is a good wheel that is small and cheap (under 30 dollars) and is the size that most hedgehogs need

For answering each question please put the number that ur answering thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hallo!
1.: Probably your carpet was cleaned with some chemicals or cleaning agents. Hedgehogs mostly anoint with strog smelling stuff to strenghten their outside protection. My hedgie anointed once with a deodorant i accidentally left on my finger.
2.: I started the bond with placing my tee in his cage he slept in it. Then I handle him everey single day for about 20-30mins. Usually he is pretty chill in my hands since its his sleepy time. But when its not he is in full explorer mode and wouldn't want to be handled. He just wants to roam my room. Talk to it in monotone so he gets used to your voice or if you don't feel like it just turn on the tv or some music. You gotta de sensitise it a bit so it wont quill up to every little thing. Also bath time is great for bonding. After bath wrap it up in a towel like a hedgie burrito and sit together until it dries. Offer it kibble or treats every time it is in your hands so it will associate you and your smell with yummy food. Be patient with it bonding takes time but is all the more rewarding for it! Mine now is calm in my hands after about 5mins when i wake him up. He is still grumpy with others but you gotta accept that. I expose him to new people, sometimes kids too. But its mostly very stressful for him so i keep it in moderation. Maybe once a month. We are still not fully bonded i think but is a lot better to when i adopted him. He was all this huffy puffy for 2 weeks then slowly loosened up to me and now he is a handful. Keep telling him no-no but he is now not afraid of me so he just does it haha. Try to touch its legs also it will help in the long run when you try to do nail clipping. Don't try to touch near the face, try to gently rub the sides where the quills and belly are together mine tolerates that.
3.: I dont know a lot about wheels but you can find some good youtube videos on how to build one. Hedgehogs need big wheels so their spine wont curve when running. I suggest you try to potty train it before the wheel tho for earier cleaning overall. Mine took a month approx to be potty trained and it still is just 80% accurate. But gotta be happy with that!
I am now interested in teaching him some tricks still don't know how to go about it...

I am also new to this, these just are my experiences so far. Maybe i am lucky with mine. You might need more time, hedgehogs are different in that regard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hallo!
1.: Probably your carpet was cleaned with some chemicals or cleaning agents. Hedgehogs mostly anoint with strog smelling stuff to strenghten their outside protection. My hedgie anointed once with a deodorant i accidentally left on my finger.
2.: I started the bond with placing my tee in his cage he slept in it. Then I handle him everey single day for about 20-30mins. Usually he is pretty chill in my hands since its his sleepy time. But when its not he is in full explorer mode and wouldn't want to be handled. He just wants to roam my room. Talk to it in monotone so he gets used to your voice or if you don't feel like it just turn on the tv or some music. You gotta de sensitise it a bit so it wont quill up to every little thing. Also bath time is great for bonding. After bath wrap it up in a towel like a hedgie burrito and sit together until it dries. Offer it kibble or treats every time it is in your hands so it will associate you and your smell with yummy food. Be patient with it bonding takes time but is all the more rewarding for it! Mine now is calm in my hands after about 5mins when i wake him up. He is still grumpy with others but you gotta accept that. I expose him to new people, sometimes kids too. But its mostly very stressful for him so i keep it in moderation. Maybe once a month. We are still not fully bonded i think but is a lot better to when i adopted him. He was all this huffy puffy for 2 weeks then slowly loosened up to me and now he is a handful. Keep telling him no-no but he is now not afraid of me so he just does it haha. Try to touch its legs also it will help in the long run when you try to do nail clipping. Don't try to touch near the face, try to gently rub the sides where the quills and belly are together mine tolerates that.
3.: I dont know a lot about wheels but you can find some good youtube videos on how to build one. Hedgehogs need big wheels so their spine wont curve when running. I suggest you try to potty train it before the wheel tho for earier cleaning overall. Mine took a month approx to be potty trained and it still is just 80% accurate. But gotta be happy with that!
I am now interested in teaching him some tricks still don't know how to go about it...

I am also new to this, these just are my experiences so far. Maybe i am lucky with mine. You might need more time, hedgehogs are different in that regard.
1The carpet that she anointed with hasnt been cleaned in a while so it was probably dog pee/poop
2 She has actually never balled up or thrown her quills up from me or my siblings
3 she apparently already knows the concept of a littler area cause i had to take her wheel out due to it being a silent spinner and her nicking her foot on it and i gave her a dig box area with some crinkle paper and i am now noticing more poop in the crinkle paper area and less in her food/water area

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don`t want to add much, because a lot of good advice has been provided by Harkotsu :)

On the wheel: you can get a so called Carolina Storm Wheel from Etsy, for just about or little over 30 bucks:

I`ve seen American hedgie owners using it a lot and people use an exact copy of this kind of wheel in my country.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts