Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Howie for about a week now and have spent every morning cleaning poop from his wheel, which he seems to greatly enjoy running and pooping in each night. I read online that this is pretty typical for hedgies, and while I truly don't mind cleaning up after him, I was wondering if there was any way to get this to stop. I'd ultimately love him to be litter trained, and have a corner litter box in the bin he lives in, but aside from sniffing it, he doesn't seem much interested.

Also, if there isn't any way to discourage pooping and running, I've also read about the condition "poopy boots" that can develop on their feet from running over their own feces every night. How often should I bathe him to avoid this condition?

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there is nothing that can be done to stop the glorious combo of pooping and running. Cleaning the wheel is just a daily part of hedgehog ownership. I might be wrong here but I don't think it can be stopped.

I'm not sure how often to bathe them for the poopy boots. I'd say just check his feet and if they're poopy, just give him a foot bath. You can search the words foot bath in the top right of the page and get the info in depth but it's basically just run enough water for him to walk in to loosen the poop. Dry really well and try to get the rest off. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Billa is a Mr. Poopy Boots too

Overall I think that pooping and urinating while running for hedgehogs in a natural occurrence and they should be able to do so accordingly without being discouraged. It isn't something that I have heard of a hedgehog not doing. It comes with the package of being a hedgie owner :)

Litter training is difficult and some hedgehogs are simply un-trainable so if it doesn’t work for you please do not feel discouraged as you are not alone. Although, if you want to try it, a good way to start is to place a small pan in his cage with litter (I personally use Yesterdays News) and placing some of his fresher poops in there to show him that is where they go. If you see him in his cage taking the stance ready to urinate you can place him in the tray. Litter training take a lot of patience.

As for the poopy boots, there are a number of ways of avoiding this. If you clean his wheel daily (using paper towel to take off clumps then a spray of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water on the wheel directly then wipe it off with paper towel if you have a bucket style wheel or a CWS is efficient and effective. I learned that info here on the forum and it has been one of the greatest tidbits of info ever) it will reduce the chances of poopy boots. A foot bath once a week to clean the feet should suffice. Just a shallow pan with an inch of water for him to walk around in will do. You can use a soft tooth brush to clean the feet too. I also find that if hedgies nails get too long the chances of poopy boots increases so trim nails will help this situation.

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts