Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I will HOPEFULLy be getting my hedgie soon (couple of weeks). And we might be moving in a couple months. So the question is, how would I move with a hedgie? The house would be around 20 minutes away so where would I put the cage, like in the car? And how would I take the hedgie? I was just thinking of putting him in his snuggle puch I made and holding him with me on the way there. Thanks in advance for all answers. :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can put the cage wherever it fits, really. Hedgehog needs to be in a hard-sided cat or dog carrier for the ride. It's best to have one anyway, for trips to the vet, vacations, etc. It's not safe to transport them in your lap or anything else, in case of an accident.

Otherwise, as far as moving, it'd be best to keep everything in the cage the same for a day or two before the move, then a day or two after the move. Same liner, same sleeping bedding, etc. After a couple days to settle in, you could change one thing (say, the liner), but then wait a couple more days after that to change the sleeping bag or bedding, so your hedgie still has something that smells like it at all times, even though the house is new. Try to also keep the schedule the same - same light schedule, same temperature, same bonding time, etc. With all of that, your hedgie will probably hardly notice the move!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size pet carrier should I get? Thanks too!

Edit: Oh just read over your answer again I will look for a cat or dog carrier thanks!

But then in a carrier should I include anything else like food, water, etc. For this kind of trip?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It shouldn't be necessary for such a short trip. :) He'll probably just sleep the whole time. Really, even longer trips don't normally need food (since that could also contribute to car sickness) and water is best offered during breaks from driving so it doesn't spill and get them wet & possibly chilled.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It shouldn't be necessary for such a short trip. :) He'll probably just sleep the whole time. Really, even longer trips don't normally need food (since that could also contribute to car sickness) and water is best offered during breaks from driving so it doesn't spill and get them wet & possibly chilled.
Yay! Turns out we are building somewhere else so now it is a 7 minute trip! O.K, this will be a lot easier then I thought. But thankyou for all of your advice. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts