Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And yet another question.. I seem to post alot of questions on her, but everyone here is so helpful

So im moving from my summer apartment to my apartment for the year. Its only a block away, so moving him over is no big. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make the move as stress free on my little boy as possible.
I have been moving stuff over to the new place and each day I have taked his fleece blanket, that I use when he is out, and just had it in the new place for the smells.. then I go to the old place and get him out with the blanket... hoping that maybe introducing him to the new smells will help him? Is this a good idea?

THANKS for any suggestions

-HD

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
All I do for my moves, is to make sure his bed fleece stays the same and unwashed for a few days.
I travel a lot when school starts, between my school apartment and my mom's house. And all I do is always make sure his sleeping fleece is "used" so his scents remain with it, and he still knows that it's home. Now he's gotten used to both places and both cages, and his scents are all over them. But for traveling sake, I still always keep his bed fleece unwashed until a day or two after he's settled.

I personally think that their safe personalized home smell is more important than the smells outside of the cage. As to them, their cage is their safe haven.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I agree as long as the cage smells are the same then the rest of the smells will not be as stressful. I recently went on vacation and left Quigley with some friends for about a week and a half. I sent all his blankets with him so they wouldn't have to wash any and it would smell the same. I also sent the dish soap I use for cleaning so that after they cleaned the wheel or the cage it wouldn't smell different to him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts