Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hedgehog about 8 months ago and she has always been super friendly. I went on a vacation for a week, and when I came back her mood has completly changed. She is all huffy now towards everyone. Mom took care of her while i was away and she said she was fine the whole time I was gone.
has anyone else had similar issues or any suggustions?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I tried to think of something that could cause this and I wonder if maybe you smell different since you were away. The first thing I usuallyy notice when I go to someones house is the smell of the house because ppl use different cleaners or air freshners. If you washed your clothes while gone it may have been with a different detergent. Maybe these factors have made you smell different than you normally would. How long have you been home?

This may have nothing to do with it but was something that seemed like it could be a possiblity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt wash my clothes or anything while away, Iwent away for a week and Have been home 3 days now.
My mom thinks maybe its because she wasnt handled quite as much when I was away, but im not sure.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It seems weird for a super friendly hedgehog to turn grumpy because of a little less handling but it's probably possible. It's also possible there is something bothering her. Illness, over grown toenail, temperature. Is everything the same as when you left? Was she not handled at all or just less than usual?

I would suggest trying to bond again and if she doesn't improve in the next week and watch for signs of illness. You might need to take her the vet if she doesn't improve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the temperature and everything seems the same.
however, right before I left we changed her food and she seems to be eating much more, Maybe I should change the food back?

Thank you lots!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't know if a food change would be enough. Especially if she is eating more (she must like it). What food did you have before and what did you change it too?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know our horses get all huffy when we're gone on vacation. If your hedgie was really bonded to you it could take a week or so to get her affection back. (With horses, at least, treats are essential in this process.) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts