Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! So I've had my hedgie, Pillip, for 2 months and he was born 6/7/15 (so he's 4 months old). I have anxiety issues, and I would just like my worries to be calmed!
First off, I have a CHE bulb, but it doesn't spread eat very evenly to my liking, so I decided to use a ceramic space (room?) heater to heat my entire room (I absolutely HATE hot temperatures... proves what we'll do for love, huh?). I have three different thermometers in my room: the thermometer/thermostat on the heating element, a Zoo Med habitat thermometer, and an ACURITE daily high/low thermometer. Obviously, since the element is on the opposite side of the room, there's a difference (although slight) between the element thermometer and the Zoo Med, usually by 1-2 degrees. However, the ACURITE is way different from the other two, at the current temps they're all reading, it's about 4 degrees higher than the other two. However it averages around 5-7 degree difference. Anyway, all of that explaining was so I could ask this: How should I gauge the temp of the room? Do I trust the Zoo Med and heater element since they are both pretty similar? Or should I average all of the temperatures out? Oh, and by the way, I have the heater's thermostat set to 77 F, the ACURITE is averagely reading 80-84 F... should I trust that and set the heater lower than 77?
Moving on, Pillip has been having a lot of 'boy time' lately. He sometimes unsheathes when I get him out for bonding time, however I've noticed he's been staying under his blanket (what he uses to sleep under) quite a lot at night lately. I hear those suspicious, random, "wet" sounds along with his paws digging into the fleece. I understand boy time is normal, however, is there such thing as 'too much' boy time? Could he be harming his health by spending an unhealthy amount of time pleasuring (?) himself?
Bridging off of that, he doesn't spend 'lots' of time at his wheel. He's been quite skidish lately while handling him and runs on his wheel at abnormal time intervals. For example, after I get him out for his 30-60 minutes of bonding I put him back in with a new tablespoon-ish of food (the food is blended, so there's more than just a tablespoon of kibble in total). I normally set him right in front of his food bowl when I put him up, and he'll eat for a bit then go hide under his blanket. After a while, he'll come back out and run for a bit on his wheel, doing his normal sporadic breaks. After he's apparently done with running for now, he'll either go back and hide under his blanket (lately he's been having boy time after this, but he used to just hide which made me assume he fell asleep). This all happens before 11 pm. Around 12-1 am he'll come back out and repeat the same thing, and after that I'm normally out so I don't know what he "normally" does, but I've witnessed him several times during all-nighters just repeat this process every so often.. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at: Do hedgehogs usually naturally exercise as much as they need to to stay healthy, or should I worry that I don't think he's been getting enough? Is there anything I can do to make sure he's staying healthy?
Lastly, he doesn't seem to drink lots of water. Pillip was raised on a water bottle, which I coincidentally got the EXACT same brand and size for him to use here. He doesn't spend much time at all drinking, I barely ever hear him drinking. I've tested to see if he's thirsty several times by putting some water in a bowl or on the tip of my finger to see if he'd drink it then. He never even attempted to drink during any of my tries. Similar to the exercise question, do hedgehog's know their natural limits/needs for water intake? How about with food? I have a weird system for it, knowing that he doesn't normally eat EVERYTHING I give him, so when I clan his cage and accessories I usually give him about 1.5-2 tablespoons of food (again, it's blended) but on every other night I'll give him a bit less than a whole tablespoon. I have read that CERTAIN hedgies stop eating when they get full, and hopefully I've observed correctly that Pillip is one of those. Do you think it is possible he only eats and drinks when he needs/wants to and doesn't neglect/indulge himself?

ANYWAY, if you've actually spent your time reading this ENTIRE thing (and even responding to it) I have to thank you A LOT! My previous concerns were answered to a T, helping relieve my anxiety a lot. I'm HOPING someone/multiple people help me, I'm just a wee baby hedgie mom! I try to do my best for him!

EDIT: 2 things:
1) Concerning the water/food intake, to my knowledge he is using the restroom fine. However, he used to pee almost every time I got him out, now he hasn't for a few weeks. He also used to make an absolute mess at night with his poop (whether it be from his wheel or him just running around pooping), and now it's not as messy any more. I did read somewhere that as hedgies get older they control their bladder a lot better. Do you think that is what's happening or something's wrong?
2) I've been trying to schedule his first vet appointment but our family vet for our dog(s) doesn't do exotics and the place he (our family vet) recommended has stopped "Sorry for the inconvenience, this webpage is under construction!" since I've looked, which was WELL over a month and a half a ago! I might have to resort to having my mother set up the appointment if I keep failing online and over the phone... :p

Anyway... thanks again! I 110% appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Temperature, do you have a thermometer in his cage? What does it say? As long as it isn't anything way of what it should be your probably fine, but you might want to swap out thermometers, just to double check..

There isn't anything wrong with him having bit time more than what you feel is normal. He just isn't making a big effort to hide it from you.

Is he overweight? Does he have a tear drop shape when you look at him from above?

The food issue, I may be missing your concern. But some will pick at the food through the night and a bit through the day.

Is he going to the bathroom? Yes babies have less control than adults, with any species really.
The water issue, how much is he drinking?

Finding a vet, start looking for another vet if you can't reach the one your vet suggested. You can check the vet listing on here or the hedgehog walfare society has a pretty extensive vet listing.

If I missed any issues just let me know. Also, breath. Mountains into molehills don't get us anywhere. Figure out what your main concern is and we can help you work through that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts