Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm just feeding my hedgie Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Cat Food. But now I'm reading stuff that says to mix up to three different foods for the right nutrition. I've never been informed of that before, should I be mixing with other cat foods? If so which ones are best?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here are the basics:

1. Protein: <35%, Fat: <15%, Fiber: as high as you can get it
2. Meat should be the first ingredient.
3. Avoid "filler" ingredients like corn, as well as vaguely worded ingredients (xyz by-products), BHA, BHT, & ethoxyquin.
4. The ingredients before the first fat are the bulk of the food. Specifically named meals (like chicken meal) actually provide more of that protein source than their meat counterpart (chicken) due to the preparation process.
5. The best way to compare values is to calculate the DMB. To do that, subtract moisture from 100. Then divide whatever value you're figuring by that number. So, if a food with 12% moisture has 31% protein, you divide 31 by 88, giving a protein value of 35.2%. (Note: A lot of people just go with the numbers in the guaranteed analysis instead of calculating dry matter base).
6. To calculate the values of your mix, average the values of each food in your mix.

Here is a thread with nutrition basics.

Here is a list of commonly used and available foods.

And, here is the book where I got the information about dry matter base (DMB).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts