Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms that a hedgehog may have mites? Mine's been scratching himself a lot lately, I'm not sure how much is normal and how much would be considered excessive, so I was hoping to be able to find another tell-tale sign.

I've done the trick with the dark cloth and didn't see anything crawling around.
May try again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You should probably also look at them under a bright light, so you can see them better, if they are there. (not sure if there is another reason for that)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think sometimes it's easier to see the residue (poop) the mites leave behind, than it is to see the mites themselves. It looks like a brownish sort of residue, if you've ever seen ear mites in a cat or a dog, it's really nasty all the gunk they can leave behind.

Here's a picture a found that shows a lot of mite residue, although in a lot of cases, I think it's such a minimal amount that it's hard to tell if what you're seeing is in fact mite poop and not just dry/flakey skin.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/mite ... gfrrgr.jpg

If I were you I'd treat for revolution as a preventative and not spend the time trying to figure it out, cause believe I've spent many unsuccessful hours searching for mites :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts