Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! This is my first post. I got my hedgie, Bruce Quillis, two weeks ago. He is 7 weeks old. He was scratching a lot at first and I think it was quilling, but yesterday I noticed white mites crawling on the back of his ears.

I am taking him to the vet's tomorrow and was wondering how costly this will become? Will one visit to the vet's take care of? i.e. does the vet give me medicine to administer myself? I am not too familiar on this topic and was reading threads but I thought a direct post might help.

I am so upset and worried! I just got my new pet and already he is sick. I hate seeing him so down and grouchy.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Whatever you do don't get Ivermectin injection (for more information: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6) . They should be able to give you Revolution, which can just have a couple drops placed on the back that you can apply yourself topically over a period of time.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Poor baby.

Yes, if it's mites, one visit should be all that it takes. You'll likely get some "Revolution" from your vet. Your vet might give your hedgie the first dose while you're there. And you'll apply the next dose(s) on your own at home.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
As smhufflepuff said, one visit will take care of it. Kitten Revolution is the best treatment for mites, since it's easy to apply and you can't really overdose with it (which is the reason Ivermectin is so dangerous, besides that it's usually injected).

As for expensive, since it's only one visit, it shouldn't be that bad. For me, it cost as much as an examination ($45 at my vet, it varies a lot based on where you are), and four doses of the Revolution, which was about $15. The vet gave her the first dose and I gave her the next three ones, three weeks between doses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts