Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm worried that my hedgie might have mites. I did the black shirt test, and thought I saw some moving specs but I could be wrong. Is there any home remedy I could do to help get rid of mites? I don't want to take her to the vet just in case it isn't mites, and that leads to my next question:

Has anyone taken their hedgie to a vet in north jersey? What would the cost be for a mite treatment and a visit? I definitely think I'm going to take her to see one because I don't want to risk anything. Better safe than sorry but I just want a rough estimate.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I've been researching like crazy, but I can't seem to find an answer to this: Is it safe for me to still play with my hedgie while she has mites?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Hi, its still safe to play with your hedgie, the mites they get don't live on people. If you think she does have mites then you should take her to the vet, they are very uncomfortable for them. When you do take her to the vet make sure they only use Revolution to treat her with, not Ivermectin, Ivermec or anything that sounds like that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have not had experience with mites, but I live in north jersey (passaic county). I took Fiona to the Oradell animal hospital in paramus, nj. they are wonderful there. I saw both Dr. Boren and Dr Kim Langlois (sorry if any misspellings!) Its a little expensive (about 90 for a visit, 180 if an emergency). Im not sure how much treatment for mites is. To be honest, I couldnt even tell you if they use Ivermectin, but I am certain they would use Revolution if you asked. They are quite knowledgeable about hedgies, so they have prob heard the horror stories associated with ivermectin. You can call to be sure.

This is a great vet...even if your hedgie doesnt have mites, its never a bad idea to bring her for a wellness checkup. They are a 24 hour emergency hospital and the exotic vets are pretty experienced from what I could tell (one also works at a zoo!). They have been beyond helpful to me and Fiona.

Good luck with your baby!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
if you have a cat or know someone with a cat you can ask the cat's regular vet for revolution and treat the hedgehog yourself. That way you are only buying the revolution. Usually the vet will sell it without an appointment because it's used for prevention on cats so as long as the cat is a regular patient you could probably get it. Most vets have revolution but some might use a different preventative mites medicine (don't use their alternative only revolution). If you get the revolution all you have to do is put a few drops from the tube on the your hedgehogs back at the base of his neck. Try to get it in between his quills, directly on his skin. He might have dry skin in the spot where you put the revolution for a few days. You need to treat with revolution three times at 2 week intervals (I'm pretty sure it's two weeks but someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My breeder suggested I try a bath of apple cider vinegar and water to help my hedgie with mites. Has anyone heard of this or ha any success to help cute of mites using this method? The vet appointment is set, but I just am curious about this approach

1 - 7 of 7 Posts