Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Leela is a rescue hedgie that I took in about a month ago. She's missing an eye (although she hasn't seemed to notice that yet), but other than that she's been in great health...
I left her home for a day while I went to my older brother's house, and came back today and noticed that there were some spines scattered around her bedding. She's 9 months old just about so I had no idea if she were quilling or if she were stressed or something, I'm new to the whole hedgehog owning thing.

But I picked her up and noticed a clump of spines on her back right by her shoulders that looked totally unnatural. And I found it was bloody. I took pictures and put all of the spines I found in a baggie and am taking her to the vet ASAP, but I was wondering what on earth could cause this to begin with? My friend said mites, but I have no clue... :confused:

Here are some pictures.

**ALSO: If it is mites, how can I treat it best and how can I prevent it from happening again? The poor baby must be so uncomfortable. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Unless she's been scratching before this I doubt its mites. Usually you'll see a lot of frantic scratching when they have mites. It looks more like a quill got pulled out or there was an abcess there. If the vet wants to treat for mites just in case then make sure they use Revolution, not Ivermectin or Ivermec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would cause an absess, and how would the quill have gotten pulled though? Is that serious, do you think she'll be okay? :(

I haven't noticed her frantically scratching before this - maybe a quick scratch once or twice - but she has scratched a few times since I found this today -- I might have only noticed because my eyes haven't left her since I found this though...

Also why that and not the other two? Are the other two harmful if there aren't mites or something? Again, sorry, I'm new to hedgies. I'm used to guinea pigs and birds. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ivermectin can be toxic (fatally so) to hedgehogs. Revolution is just as effective and totally safe for hedgehogs. Some vets will try to use Ivermectin, so you need to make sure that your vet is aware of the issue. Some vets will try to convince you otherwise, but really, with a completely safe alternative, there's no need to try something that could potentially be fatal, so just be firm. :)

As to your other question, I haven't personally seen it, but sometimes quills can grow incorrectly and become abcessed, and form a pocket of pus that may break with scratching, or even with movement. It's not comfortable for your hedgie, and it absolutely does require treatment, but isn't usually too dangerous (with the note that of course any infection can become dangerous if not correctly diagnosed and treated)

But it sounds like you are getting your little girl looked after, and with luck she should be fine again soon. I don't think there's anything you can do to help until your vet has assessed her, because any topical skin treatments to help with itchiness shouldn't be used with an open wound like she has.

Please let us know how an updates though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaaah, okay! I'll be sure that she gets Revolution if anything then!!

She has an appointment in about an hour and a half with the vet, so I'm hoping they'll know the best way to get her back on her little feet again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts