Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog is about 17 weeks old. She is still losing quills and has brown specs on her quills on the tips along with dry skin flakes. I'm not sure if the brown specs are poop or something to be worried about. Any help is apreciated

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Pictures would be helpful. Are you sure the brown specs aren't part of her coloring? At her age quilling is pretty normal and dry skin tends to happen during quilling. I wouldn't be terribly concerned about quill loss right now unless she's starting to look sparse or bald in some areas. Are you noticing new quills growing in at all?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Looks like gunk. Or in this case probably poop. Do you notice her scratching excessively like she's itchy? If you can see new quills growing in and she's not scratching a lot, I wouldn't be super worried about it.

However, I am going to guess you haven't taken her to the vet for a wellness check yet? It wouldn't be a bad idea to make an appointment in the next few weeks. That way you can get her checked over and make sure she's over all healthy, and you get to start a relationship with your vet before your baby needs it.

And while we're on the subject, I would definitely suggest getting pet insurance for her. It's really cheap (something like $9 a month) and will help cover costs when your girl gets sick. Vet bills pile up really quickly, so the sooner you get her covered, the better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like gunk. Or in this case probably poop. Do you notice her scratching excessively like she's itchy? If you can see new quills growing in and she's not scratching a lot, I wouldn't be super worried about it.

However, I am going to guess you haven't taken her to the vet for a wellness check yet? It wouldn't be a bad idea to make an appointment in the next few weeks. That way you can get her checked over and make sure she's over all healthy, and you get to start a relationship with your vet before your baby needs it.

And while we're on the subject, I would definitely suggest getting pet insurance for her. It's really cheap (something like $9 a month) and will help cover costs when your girl gets sick. Vet bills pile up really quickly, so the sooner you get her covered, the better.
How does one go about getting insurance on their hedgehog in MI? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Call VPI pet insurance. They have an exotics plan and so far people have been paying about $80/year or $11/month (I think) to cover a hedgehog. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts