Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just adopted my boy less than a week ago. Suspected mites but now that he's unballing a small amount for me I know he has them... can see them crawling all over his man part. First appointment vet had was one week from today. In the meantime is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can give him a bath and include some flaxseed oil in the rinse water. The water & oil can help wash the mites off and also suffocate them which may help get rid of some of them for now until you guys get to the vet.

Make sure when you're at the vet that they give you Revolution to treat him with - NOT Ivermectin. Ivermectin has caused the death of numerous hedgehogs as it's easier to overdose & more deadly when overdosed. Revolution is much safer. Make sure you ask the vet what they're treating with specifically and get a straight answer. If they try to insist or don't want to give you Revolution, find a new vet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! He hated the bath but I don't see them crawling all over anymore so hopefully it killed and washed at least some away. He had a lot of big pieces of dandruff come off in his bath. I was also able to see him up close really unballed and he has bald patches on his forehead "hairline" and just behind his ears. :(

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Those may be normal - hedgehogs have small areas with no quills behind their ears where it can look bald. And they also have what is called a reverse mohawk in the middle of their head, a line (maybe an inch or so long?) with no quills. That's to allow the quills on either side to properly fan out over their face when they ball up & protect every part of them.

Glad the bath seemed to help though! Hopefully he'll have some relief until you guys get in. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts