Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm pretty sure princess peach has mites.
i have already made her (and lulabelle) a vet appointment to make sure. if that's what it is. she is six months old (aprox) isn't that too old to be quilling? should lulabelle go too? they do not share a cage, and don't care for each other so they don't play together either, but they take their bath together--the last one was a week and a half ago.

peach has quill loss (about ten-twenty a night for the last two nights) and she's been grumpy but otherwise seems fine. she doesn't seem itchy (she's not scratchy) but they both have always had dry skin, so i had been treating that with flaxseed oil in their food--so maybe that was already helping with the itching?

anyway she is eating fine and still running in her wheel at night so my vet urged me not to make a same day appointment since it would cost more, and it would take longer since they were booked solid...so her appointment is the day after tomorrow.

... what can i do in the mean time to make her more comfortable?

·
Registered
902 Posts
If the other hedgie isn't showing any signs I wouldn't stress her out by taking her too.

I'd say take her to the vet so they can hopefully determine if its mites or not. Are you sure of her age? I believe they quill again at a year or around that time frame.

If they both have the dry skin, is it very dandruffy or you just notice it when looking directly at their skin. I've been using a very small room humidifier every other day or so in the hedgie room as mine had some dandruff for awhile. It appears to have helped so you could try that. Don't make it a sauna in there, but here in CO it is very dry air.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she's one of the texas rescues (they both are..) but they had guessed she was about 6 months to under a year. hopefully she is just quilling...i never had one this young so who knows. her vet appointment is tomorrow afternoon so we'll see.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: mite question UPDATED

peach's vet could find no reason for her quill loss. he did a scrape and found no mites or fungus. he did note that she seemed thin and asked how she had been eating. i told him her eating habits had not changed but she runs excessively on her wheel. her stool is also normal. he thinks the quill loss (which has dropped to about ten a day) is probably from not keeping enough weight on, or stress. he suggested adding more calories to her diet like with more mealworms.

my problem is she won't eat mealworms in any form. i've tried freezedried, live, live but smooshed, and even canned. neither of mine will eat them.

any suggestions on how to sneak them in her diet, or on a food that will help her keep weight on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts