Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a relatively new hedgehog owner since april, and i have found that Henry has mites. I assume so at least, as i itch after holding him, he loses quills, and his skin is dry and flaky. Oh, I also saw little white mites crawling on my skin after holding him the other day! The nearest vet is 2 hrs away. I have been reading on previous posts that you can treat with Revolution, but which kind? I know you can find it online, but it seems to be for dogs and cats or both. I have seen about 6 varieties, all for dogs and cats, but I didnt find one for small animals or exotics. Which kind have any other previous owners used in the past? Are there any home remedies or temporary treatments that anyone is aware of? Please help! He is really skiddish and I have already had difficulty getting him socialized and to warm up to me, and I am sure this problem is not helping the poor guy :(

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You really want to make the visit to the vet to get the proper dosage. You can make it a wellness-checkup as well, get to know the vet in low-stress conditions instead of frantic last-minute emergency!

For hedgehogs, we use the lower-concentration Revolution (the stuff used for kittens, cats, and dogs under 5lbs: mauve, blue, or taupe package colours). Revolution is only available with a prescription. The dosage quantity and frequency (x amount every 2-4 weeks for 2-4 doses total) depends on your hedgehog's weight and the intensity of the mite-outbreak: your vet will calculate it for you.

Do not let them inject Ivermectin. It is much easier to overdose with tiny little hedgehogs, the consequences of overdosing are much more severe (potentially fatal), and your hedgehog's reaction can get more intense over time (fine on the first shot, dead on the third...)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Agreed with the above comments...and keep in mind that wellness visits are a good idea with hedgehogs (as with any animal), so if you're taking the trip to get the mites treated, you can also have the vet check out everything else & make sure he's in good health otherwise. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts