Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm Katie and this is Martie! Martie is almost a year old and was an unexpected mother of 3 last November!

I noticed when I got her she was missing a lot of hair on her face and her quills are also pretty patchy. Anyone have any ideas? It seems like for the fur she might be allergic to something and for the quills she might be missing a vitamin. (If you zoom in on the quill images you'll see the spots where it looks like it's not filled in)

Any advice would be great!
Hedgehog Head Erinaceidae Eye Domesticated hedgehog
Hedgehog Hair Erinaceidae Head Domesticated hedgehog
Hair Hedgehog Head Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Eye Plant

·
Administrator
3,801 Posts
I'm not seeing what you are describing. Could you circle areas where you see patchy spots? What is the bedding in her cage? What is her diet? Is she losing quills or lost quills previously?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not seeing what you are describing. Could you circle areas where you see patchy spots? What is the bedding in her cage? What is her diet? Is she losing quills or lost quills previously?
Hi Kalandra! Thanks for your response! I'm gonna attach some screen shots with circles. Her actual quills are missing the "filling" in the quill. I feed her a chicken based kitten food and I use fleece liners for her bedding. Paper litter for her litter tray.
Grass Wood Font Pattern Wire fencing

Plant Mammal Pattern Close-up Wood

And her hair is patchy on her face, or so I think. She just might be different than my first hedgie where she just doesn't have as much facial hair?

Virginia opossum Eye Vertebrate Mammal Rodent

·
Administrator
3,801 Posts
I see what you mean now. They are a bit transparent in places. Was she very young when she was pregnant? I'm wondering if she suffered a bit of malnutrition during the time frame those were growing in since it was an unplanned pregnancy and if just the stress of motherhood at a young age could be a cause.

I've seen quills like that before in a couple of my rescues. I've often suspected it was caused by some sort of stress during the quill's growth, or maybe as you mentioned, a bit of something missing in their diet at that time. I have a boy now, was part of a large number who were rescued from a hoarder, who has them. He has a 1 inch band of quills at the quill line to his fur on his rump, most are actually very orange as they must have soaked up some sort of dye and are stained inside. They have been falling out slowly over the last 7 months and he is growing in new white quills to replace them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts