Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cant seem to get it right. I have had Butterbean for almost a month now. I have had replace his cage with a bigger one, brought him to the vet, tried to get him used to me, gave him an oatmeal bath to help soothe his quilling, and tried different things to occupy his time like 2 different wheels (which he wants nothing to do with), PVC pipe to crawl through, a tissue box to hide in, a ramp to crawl over. So, i know he has been through A LOT in ashort amount of time but he seems so miserable & doesnt seem to like me.
Please, if anyone can help with suggestion of toys or activites that i can do for him to make him happy. I am willing to do whatever it takes just dont know where to start. :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
What is it exactly that makes you think he feels miserable? If you could describe the behavior exactly, someone might be able to tell you if it sounds normal or what could be going on. :)

You can buy craft foam at most craft stores. It's a bendable foam that comes in different colors. You can cut a square of this and glue two of the sides together to make a tube. Many hedgies enjoy sticking their heads in the tube and walking around. That's a favorite here.

http://sinister-intentions.net/hedgiein ... ekaboo.jpg
That's a pic of my little guy with his tube when I first got him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what makes me think he's miserable is he keeps biting me, i thought it was just a playful nip but he's bit me really hard the past couple of days. I don't mess with him, what i mean by that is i dont force him to do anything & i talk to him all the time in a soft voice & always let him sniff me out.
Also, I just feel like maybe hes bored and doesnt have enough activity. He keeps throwinghis poop out the cage, someone told me that might be because he's bored. I clean his litter box twice a day & thoroughly clean cage once a week.
Am I being neurotic?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got a rehome Dec. 30, and for the first 2 months, I was bit, and quite hard, breaking skin, leaving a scar. Many of the times, I know it was my fault, handfeeding mealworms, or still having the scent still on me, just a new owner syndrome :mrgreen: . Other times, it was for no reason, no hiss, quills up, she was out of her cage, happily exploring, and then she would come up, and chomp, or if I was waking her. Now, being April, she no longer bites. During that time, I did not change my behaviour, except for having clean hands, and keeping my fingers away from her face. I wondered if it was oral exploring, and testing to see what I would do. I think if you continue to do what you do, even just holding the little quills on your lap, covered, over time, the trust builds. This is my limited experience, based on one hedgehog. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts