Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night, my hedgehog was making a really strange noise. I turned on the light, and found that he was scratching at his skirt. That didn't worry me much. I turned off the light, and throughout the entire night and next morning, the only sound I could hear was him scratching himself. Might he have mites or something?
P.S- for the last week or so, he has been dropping skin flakes, kinda like dandruff, everywhere. Could this be related to the itching?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like it may be mites. I would take him to see the vet, but call around first and find a vet that will prescribe Revolution, the Ivermectin is dangerous for our little guys and can be fatal. And some vets will try to talk you into the Ivermectin, just stand firm and tell them under no circumstances is your little one to have Ivermectin. Then with the Revolution just a drop or two between the shoulder blades I believe is all you need.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. But how would he get mites? The only things in his cage is his kilndried pine bedding, wheel, waterbottle, foodbowl, and paper tubes. Oh, and his hidey-spot. Its this dried timothy-hay sort of basket thing. Could that be it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
It is my understanding (and i could be wrong) that hedgies may always have mites, but they cause problems if the immune system is lowered. Has there been any hibernation attempts or respiratory problems? Another explanation is that Hedgies just get mites occasionally. IDK, but I would get him to the vet so you can make the guy more comfortable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It could be the litter or the hideout. Almost anything made from natural substances can harbor mites. You would think kiln drying would eliminate this but there have been toooooo many coincidences of outbreaks with using any type of wood litter or even pelleted wood. The hay hideout can harbor them as well. And sometimes even when NO wood or natural substances are used they can still acquire mites. But it seems using non wood litter and plastic hideouts reduce the outbreaks but nothing completely eliminates them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is he losing quills, or does he have bald spots? That's normally a big indicator of mites, in addition to the itching.
I would recommend switching to cloth liners. I recommend that for everyone because of this very reason. With wood bedding you run the risk of getting a bag that's contaminated with mites every time you have to buy a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts