Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I havent picked up my hedgehog for about 3 or 4 days because I had a very bad flu. The only time i was near her was when my mom was holding her and i just patted her once. I'm now not sick anymore, so i went to pick her up today, but when I did, she seems very weak. Usualy when getting out of her ball shes very strong and pulls on my hand, but this time it took her a while to finaly manage to prop herself up. I thought maybe it might have been the temperature, so i sat with her by the fire, and she pooped on me twice, and was trying to bite me (she bit the cloth I had arround her).

Anyways, I dont think it's the temperature, but is there any way I can tell if shes sick? also I dont think theres any exotic vet near where I live, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
These are just started points. Someone more experiences I'm sure will give you stronger answers.

1) Start looking for a vet near you who's comfortable treating hedgehogs. Regardless of whether or not your hedgie might need to see a vet now, there will come a day they s/he does and you want to know who they are before then (particularly if it's an emergency).

2) how was the poop? was it solid like toothpaste? or liquid? colour?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
silvercat said:
These are just started points. Someone more experiences I'm sure will give you stronger answers.

1) Start looking for a vet near you who's comfortable treating hedgehogs. Regardless of whether or not your hedgie might need to see a vet now, there will come a day they s/he does and you want to know who they are before then (particularly if it's an emergency).

2) how was the poop? was it solid like toothpaste? or liquid? colour?
Well, the site suggests a vet about 2 hours away, which is fine, and theres 2 in my city which i need to call to see if they off hedgehog treatment.

The poop was pretty normal, but the second one was very small, much darker, and wetter.

Thankyou for the reply!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There's not a lot to go on. Watch to make sure she is still eating about the same amount and still getting lots of exercise and water. if you see no other signs of weakness or illness it's probably nothing but keep an eye on her and if she looses weight, stops running or eating then it could be a sign of a more serious problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts