Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, :)
Just curious as to what is the perferred, if any prefrences, on mealworms. Freeze-dried, dried in general, live without the head, etc? I tried a search, but didn't really find my answer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a tub of live ones that I keep in my refrigerator. They are definitely better than frozen or freeze-dried. You just have to leave the tub out overnight about once a week so the worms can eat. It is as easy as frozen worms! Also, Hedgies love to chase them :lol:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: I can imagine an army of mealworms retreating as fast as they can from the big, hungry, "king-kong" esque, hedgehog!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have a preference of feeding live... I've never fed freeze dried or canned.

But I like feeding live, because I can also gut feed the mealies. Give the mealing all the veggies that my boy refuses to eat :lol: I always make sure I feed the mealies before I feed them to my boy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You would be surprised! Some of them practically crawl straight into the jaws of death! *Chomp Chomp Chomp* I swear Maisy is like a vacuum cleaner when it comes to worms. Also, I agree with Immortalia - Gut loading them is a great way to get them those veggies. It's like when my mum used to hide chopped up vegetables in my pasta sauce :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I too like feeding live. I haven't gotten healthier mealies anywhere than the ones that come straight out of the tubs I have here. They are fat, healthy, and best of all (just like Immortalia said) you can gut load them. I feed them all the stuff I wish Inky would eat and doesn't. :lol:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Gut loading just means feeding the mealworms ALL the veggies that we would want our hedgies to eat, but refuse to.

You don't necessarily have to raise them yourself. I buy mine at a reptile store(cause they're MUCH cheaper than a place like petsmart), and I'll keep them in the fridge. I'll take about 20 to leave out during the week, and they get veggies daily. The rest just come out once a week to be fed.

Either way, I haven't noticed anything strong smelling. I definitely notice hedgie poop more than I notice mealie poop.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clearing all of that up Immortalia! :D
When you keep them in the fridge and take some out to eat, how much veggies do you give them? Do you still let them eat the brown stuff (yeast maybe?) that they come in?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I never refrigerate my mealies, I keep them in tubs at 75*ish. They are kept on wheat bran (what they are sold in, that flaky brown stuff) and fed pretty much any fruits or veggies we have on hand. Lately that's been pears. I've also had great success with carrots, potatoes (they don't like it as much though, and it starts to smell weird), canteloupe rinds, strawberry tops, apples and cores, salad, peas, celery, softened dog/cat food, and much more. They are great little recyclers. :lol:

They don't smell at all unless you let some of the food mold.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks LG! I'll try and do some more research on farming them and take it into consideration!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
tie-dye hedgie said:
Thanks LG! I'll try and do some more research on farming them and take it into consideration!
Around here all the mealies come in oatmeal,that's what I use too.
It's really not worth it if you only have one hedgie IMO :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I don't see why there's a need to. They don't need calcium supplements and the reptile multivitamins are made for reptiles- also not what they need.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't fed any mealies to Hershi yet but I do have a can of them. I really want to feed her live ones and watch her hunt :lol:. But I'm so scared of touching them or watching them wiggle. :?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Amy1024 said:
I haven't fed any mealies to Hershi yet but I do have a can of them. I really want to feed her live ones and watch her hunt :lol:. But I'm so scared of touching them or watching them wiggle. :?
Tweezers are your best friend. :lol: I only touch mine with tweezers

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't like touching them either lol :) I have a plastic fork I pick them up with and a seperate bowl to put them in. Even though I didn't want to pick them up at first I tried hand feeding them. The problem is my hedgehog got so excited I was afraid he'd get my finger in the frenzy lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
I pick up mealworms with a spoon and offer them to the hedgehogs. They get super excited about spoons now, whether there are mealworms on there are not. It's a good way to get them to try new stuff, too, because they will gobble up almost anything from a spoon!

Bonnie gets SO excited about worms that she bites the spoon sometimes, too! No way am I feeding HER mealworms with my fingers!

It does make them really bad hunters, though. They hunt the spoon and purr at it, but if the mealworms fall off the spoon and escape, the hedgehogs don't even notice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.