Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When we got Xena a litt less than 3 months ago, the breeder gave us a box of mealworms with it. I have some questions about them.
A lot of the mealies tend to be ' evolving'. Some went pale and kind of hunched and some now are actually more like bugs, wings and all. Is this normal? And can you feed these bugged creatures to your hedgehog?

Also, Xena seems to have lost her appetite for the mealworms, she used be nuts over them, but now it actually takes ages to get her to eat one. I only give them when she is on my lap because I reckoned giving her treats on my lap might give her positive associations with me. It is the case that when she is in my lap, she is still very shy and scared, and usually sits there, not balled up but quills up, not showing her head. I've put this down to nature and that we've only had her for a relatively short time. But in any case, so used to look up for the mealie and hasn't done so in a while. Anyone any experience with this? (Note: I don't believe it's due to hibernation issues as she is still active on her wheel and still eats and drinks as normal, just not mealies).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bruno my hedgie has also lost an appetite to meal worms. The only way I can get him to eat them is to leave a few in his food dish! When he is out on my lap I feed him banana and apple for treats ;) Maybe you should try a different typre of worm like a silk worm? Are you putting the meal worms in the fridge because meal worms need to be kept in the fridge. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fridge thing is something we only found out about recently, so these days yes. I actually think Xena lost her appetite for them around the time we started keeping them in the fridge...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mealworms are the baby state between egg and beetle, basically. The beetles are the full grown product. They will lay eggs, and in a couple of months you'll have an overflow of mealworms when those eggs hatch if you leave them out of the fridge. You can feed them to your hedgie. Mine doesn't like them, but some people say their hedgies do like them because they have more crunch than the mealies.
Mealworms only have to be kept in the fridge if you aren't intending on starting a mealworm farm, because it makes them go dormant. If you want to keep a farm going (with the beetles and morphing and all) then put them in a plastic container with cornmeal or oatmeal and half of a potato and leave it out of the fridge.
Does she see the mealie? Mine will only eat them if he can actually see them...he doesn't have much of a hunter instinct, apparently. So if he doesn't see them directly with a clear view he'll just sit there until he does. Could it be that she just has trouble locating them, or is it actually that she just isn't interested? It could also be that she just doesn't like them cold, in which case you could keep the farm you've got started going and keep them out of the fridge. You'll have tons of mealies in no-time. I started out with about 2 dozen mealies in my farm and after one set of beetles, I now have hundreds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts