Hedgehog Central banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, my little Boris is having some troubles, when he masturbates he gets the shaving stuck in his sheath (?). I'm not entirely sure of the proper name. But I've read that it can cause irritation and sometimes infection, so now I'm pretty worried. I gave him a warm bath the first time it happened since I wasn't sure what to do. I'm considering changing his bedding into something I little less prone to getting stuck to his belly and such, but I'm not entirely sure what the best one to use is. Also is there anything else I can do for my little dude? I can't imagine it being comfortable for him and he really doesn't enjoy bathes all that much. Help would be much appreciated!

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Henry used to let it all hang out in the warm tub during a bath, his son Bolt is secretive, he gets "sticky fur" on his chest from dried....um....you know. His brother Oscar does the deed when in a ball.

Boys WILL be boys ROFL :oops: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Zania said:
Hey, my little Boris is having some troubles, when he masturbates he gets the shaving stuck in his sheath (?). I'm not entirely sure of the proper name. But I've read that it can cause irritation and sometimes infection, so now I'm pretty worried. I gave him a warm bath the first time it happened since I wasn't sure what to do. I'm considering changing his bedding into something I little less prone to getting stuck to his belly and such, but I'm not entirely sure what the best one to use is. Also is there anything else I can do for my little dude? I can't imagine it being comfortable for him and he really doesn't enjoy bathes all that much. Help would be much appreciated!

thanks
No you're right it's probably not comfortable and not good for him. Most people on the forum use fleece liners instead of loose bedding material especially for males specifically because of this issue and the issue of things being stuck in the urethra.

There are lots of threads about where to get liners and how to make them. (fleece from any fabric store cut to size, light colours are best to see changes in pee and poop).

I don't know what else you can do besides keeping an eye on the area and making sure it doesn't happen anymore.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have a boy hedgehog and use fleece liners like mentioned above. It's great because when he decides to stretch or drag himself on the ground when stretching nothing gets caught no where. One of the major reasons for me choosing this to begin with is that I read an old newletter from an archive when researching and seen a pic and read a story about a rescue that had gotten stuff stuck and ended badly. So when I seen ppl post about about things that had a potential to cause this I made sure not to have it in there. What I settled on and was able to sleep at night with it being in the cage is: Fleece liners and every other cloth service is fleece, pvc/plastic for the tube and cake cover wheel and folded papertowel for the bathroom area. Now I don't worry as much when I'm sleeping because I know there is nothing to get stuck anywhere and nothing that will snag on his foot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
*eyes Beckett*

Well now I'm a bit worried about my boy's erm... masculinity? Do I have the only male hedgie that uhm... doesn't masturbate lol? In two and a half years of having him in my room with me, I have never once seen this, or any evidence of it (such as the described dried semen or wet belly).

Latent hedgie?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've had a few boys that rarely showed any of that activity. Some are very discrete but leave the evidence in their bag. Others, just don't seem to do it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
-- I am posting on this thread because I am assuming that my little boy is now starting to do this and not being so discrete about it... :roll:

Again, this is pure assumption and I would like to see if I can get confirmation as to what I *think* I am seeing here..

My little boy.. hrm... how to phrase this... "wags his butt" .. if that makes sense. When I get him out for play time and place him out in the open on our living room floor..He starts exploring and then stops.. and moves just the lower-half of his body (from the mid-tummy down to the tail) to the side a few times and then carries on exploring..

Is ... this... applicable to this thread? :)

*edit on grammar

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
It does sound like thats what he's doing and I know what you mean with the wags his butt lol Mine will do this but he also likes to randomly walk around and drag himself on stuff too, or stretching out and dragging. I tell him, you know Im right here right lmao.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I'm new, and I hate for my first question to be about this, but...

I got Gunther a couple of weeks ago. We're getting along ok, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Yesterday night and all through today he's been absolutely horrid though. He won't uncurl for ANYTHING- not even zucchini, which is like mealies for him- and anyway, I finally got him to uncurl, and noticed a dark spot on his 'wee-wee' , and thought he had stuff stuck! He let me (eventually) get close enough, and I was able to slowly pull a little piece out. He flinched, so I know it was painful, but I think there's some left. I just gave him a bath 2 days ago... should I try another bath? Or will that dry out his skin/not do anything to help this particular situation?

Anyway, yay first posts! Sorry if I said anything... um, inappropriate.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I would suggest a vet visit IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Someone here had a boy who eventually bit it OFF, because something must have annoyed him.
So I say vet, and get that looked at and taken care of.

What sort of litter are you using? That's one main culprit, or perhaps something the previous owner used/did?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I too suggest a vet visit to make certain there is nothing left in there and that there is no infection.

If you don't already, I suggest putting him on liners so there is no risk of it happening again.

Poor little guy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't seen my Brillo "pleasure himself" but I did want to add...
When Brillo was quilling I took him out of his cage and he wasn't going into a ball. I thought that was weird and when I flipped him on his back I noticed he had a quill stuck in his you know what! I had my husband take it out right away but eeeesh that was scary! :eek: And I'm sure very painful for our little man!
So if anyone has quilling boys...you may want to check every once and awhile to make sure.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've had that happen with babies too. A couple of times my Yuri has had one stuck in his anus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh my that's horrible! I'll be sure to check on Gunther when he starts quilling again...

And update!! Gunther is A-ok. The vet squeezed us in today, and he said I did a fine job for such a new mom! :D

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I'm glad I found this topic here, because the first time I saw Keoki do this, I thought he was having massive stomach pains or something. I do have a question though. Lately, it seems like he has a different 'method' & I just wanna make sure it's normal. He starts off with his head tucked under & the butt clenching thing but then he suddenly rolls into a tight ball, FALLS OVER, & keeps clenching his body (5 or 6 times), like spasms. THEN, he pokes his head back out & lays there for a while like he's exhausted. I'm wondering..could he possibly be climaxing when he rolls & falls over? It's kinda scary to see, the first time he did this I was terrified but when He unrolled, he just yawned, laid there for a while then got up as if nothing happened. LOL. The first time I witnessed this new 'technique' was when I changed up his cage. He was exploring then he just stopped & did this. It freaked me out when he fell over in a tight ball. Just wanna make sure it's normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't seen my Brillo "pleasure himself" but I did want to add...
When Brillo was quilling I took him out of his cage and he wasn't going into a ball. I thought that was weird and when I flipped him on his back I noticed he had a quill stuck in his you know what! I had my husband take it out right away but eeeesh that was scary! :eek: And I'm sure very painful for our little man!
So if anyone has quilling boys...you may want to check every once and awhile to make sure.
That is awful! About a year ago my Butch Cassidy got kitty litter stuck in his privates (it was non-clumping, too - if anyone has a boy hedgehog, be careful...they'll stick it in -anything-). Fortunately my boyfriend was a real champ and "helped" the little guy along so we could get it out.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts