Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
:lol: oh I have had a right giggle reading all of your stories - I have 3 boys - one is very shy and I havent seenanything with him YET guaranteed it wont be long and the other 2........WELL!!!! One takes great delight in licking himself and I have made the mistake of going to get him out in the middle and one night I thought he was having a fit and panicked - nearly fell out of bed to get to him quickly but NOPE he was just having fun with his toy mousie :lol: and my middle boy he is just the worst - I only have to call him to get him up but his favouritest trick of all times at the moment is to rub himself as he is getting up have a quick nibble and then coming to run towards me back arched and on FULL display :shock: he also rubs himself in his play pen and randomly pleasures himself when exploring :lol: men!!! cant do anything with them :lol:

Love Inky's piccie too - hahaha thats great - caught in the act!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yea back on this topic (wondering if its maybe why my hedgie gets angry at me at times but then other times is more than happy to hang out normally)

Anyone know about what age they start doing such things?

Cause thus far I havnt seen "it" but I havnt really tried to check for obvious reasons

Dexters currently 2 months 1 week old so idk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tweasal just did his thing in front of me & my bf for the first time and it is so funny and random, we took him out to play and he pooped ran around pooped and did his thing lol funny little guy =]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wait...are you all sure that they can really masturbate? I mean, humans do it as a means of pleasure, something fun to do. Creatures, other than humans, have to have sex because when they are going through a cycle(females) something in their brain tells them to do this. Almost as if they are doing it as a means of survival(I can't really give you the scientific reason, as I forgot it) to keep the population in exsistance. They don't really have a sense of how 'fun' sex is, it's something they were made to do.
So, with that said, masturbation is a form a self pleasure that humans do for fun, so-to-speak, so I'm confused on wether a male hedgehog is really 'masturbating' or just cleaning themselves. I know that I have walked in on my dog Miki licking himself, like how you all are describing these hedgehogs doing, but he was only giving himself a 'bath', and I believe that's what these male hedgehogs are doing.
Now, as for the male hedgehogs who are humping stuffed animals or what have you, I believe that, because I have a friend whos' chihuahua does that, but it's only around when his testosterone levels are higher, and females do this as well when they are going through a cycle. It's all because they want to relieve(or get rid of rather) that annoying 'must have sex' feeling.
Sorry to get all technical with everyone :roll:

·
Registered
37 Posts
im sure most people will agree that animals have that drive and to them its a survival thing not fun thing to do but i think its kinda funny and corky thing they do

·
Registered
119 Posts
spritecann said:
im sure most people will agree that animals have that drive and to them its a survival thing not fun thing to do but i think its kinda funny and corky thing they do
But, aren't they just cleaning themselves? That's where it gets kind of iffy. Either way, I saw the video and it is pretty funny, not gonna lie ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
nikki said:
no they aren't just cleaning themselves, they ejaculate which wouldn't happen if it was just a grooming issue.
Hmm, for real? I mean, someone mentioned one having a wet belly when they picked it up, and that could have just been saliva.
I just think it's strange and I can't wrap my head around it.
This will have to be brought up to my vet class.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
believe me itsn not saliva...its sticky, thick and is hard when it dries..its also almost impossible to get out of their fur. I am an EMT as well as a Vet Tech..i know the difference between saliva and semen.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hmmm, I still find it hard to believe(although, I'm not doubting what you are saying).

In my years of experience with animals, this is new. I have never heard(nor seen) as animal have this kind of behaviour. Must be what the whole gang is doing these days!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Masturbation is nothing new in the animal kingdom. Being in a vet class I'm amazed you have not heard of it.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I definately know its true, I've only had my hedgie for a little over a month and I'm for sure thats what he is doing and not grooming, and I do his laundry and it really couldn't be anything else lol :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It is absolutely true and extremely common in all sorts of animals all over the world.

I know we have gotten complaints from this topic getting too descriptive, but I just have to say that any animal completely unsheathed, twitching, and licking/chewing is far different than a "hey I think I'll groom my belly". Hedgies don't lick to keep clean.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Nope Nikki you're good. :)

Some past threads have had reported posts from some people being a little picky about how "inappropriate" the subject was.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts