Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mallow has become a lot more active since I got her the giant sized exercise wheel and my husband and I love to watch her play in it. My husband checks on her at night just to see if she's playing or not. Last couple of nights she's seemed to be sleeping like she did when we first got her (which is a lot of sleeping and very little "out" time) and tonight Jeff caught her curled up in her litter pan trying to sleep. Her digital thermometer reads 80 deg. so she's not cold and she has been sleeping burrowed into her pine shavings inside her igloo up until tonight's event. He was worried when he saw her curled up out in the open and oddly enough, in her litter pan. I checked her and she was grumpy to be disturbed and hissed and balled up a bit but once she smelled it was me, I could pick her up and check her. She seems OK physically so I'm wondering if this is normal hedgie behavior from time to time. Any input on this would be helpful so Jeff and I can sleep at night without worrying.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Totally normal. And welcome to the worry of a hedgemom. Everything these little one's do seems to worry us. They are very silly creatures sometimes :) If you take a search around the forum I believe there a quite a few pics of hedgies sleeping in their litter pans.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I not totally sure, but I think 80 degrees is a bit TOO HIGH. Perhaps she is too hot? Make sure she has plenty of water and try to turn the temp down to around 74-75 degrees. And the more experienced members, of course correct me if I am wrong!

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
While it is perfectly normal, you may still want to adjust the temperature so it's not at 80, as it IS possible that your hedgie is sleeping out in the open because it's too not to sleep anywhere else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts