Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a new hedgehog from my cousin because she was not taking care of it properly so I took it off her hands and I already have a female hedgehog so I was wondering is it okay that I have them both? They're in separate cages and the cages are not by each other and they haven't met yet either.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
Its fine to have both, but they will always have to have separate cages, play times and should never meet. Meeting will cause them to become sexually aware of each other which will be both stressful mentally and physically for them. Also ensure that their cages are fully enclosed. They have to have cages that are escape proof to prevent potential unplanned meetings.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
When near each other the instinct to breed comes out. Males get frustrated when they cannot mate, and female hedgehogs are induced ovulators. Being induced to ovulate repeatedly is stressing to the body.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
You should be fine as long as you keep them safe from each other and have the time for both. Lots of us have boys and girls at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts