Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog loves to play with toys, but sometimes I can't afford them. I'm still in middle school and I don't get an allowance. Would making a toy be safe for my hedgehog if it was made out of cardboard or anything like that? Can my hedgehog be hurt with any self-made toys?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Many hedgies LOVE kleenex boxes ^_^ Just cut out the plastic part, can add in some fleece strips or a few squares of toilet paper and your hedgie will have fun for hours digging inside.

There are probably a lot of things that you have around the house that can be used as a toy. As long as it's not been treated with toxic materials, then it should be fine.

If you are unsure of anything, just take a picture and post it up, along with what it's made out of. Obviously, stay away from metal, as you might end up with chipped teeth. And always have rounded edges, so you don't get any poked eyes as well.

If you do a search(upper right corner), I'm sure there are other homemade toys that can be found. If you make a search with the words "toy toys" at least 12 pages of material come up. ^_^

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC!

A very cheap and popular toy for hedgies is a regular toilet paper tube, cut lengthwise. You can cut the corners of the cut part so they are rounded too.

Also, like Immortalia said, boxes can be pretty popular. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My hedgie loves egg cartons (I usually cut them in half across the width) and he also found an empty shampoo bottle that he enjoyed pushing around for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts