Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a hedgehog in about a week, and I was thinking that making a cage would be much more affordable.

I would make a plywood base of 4.5 feet by 2.5 feet, and have 2 feet pieces of wood come up from each corner, then wrap everything with vinyl covered fencing (with squares about 1 inch thick). And I can top the cage with more fencing.

I would put plastic on the base and have the plastic come up about 6 inches on all sides to prevent the wood from staining and make cleaning easier.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Anything you have to say will be helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That would work. What type of fencing do you mean? Plastic hardware cloth works great and it's openings are about 1/2".

What are you going to use for heating?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on using plastic hardware cloth.

I'm not quite sure yet for heating, my house is usually in the upper 70s (my dad doesn't like to use the ac often and we live in south florida) so would I need a heating unit?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
You may not need heating all the time if you're not using A/C, but I know a few people in Florida and they do need heating some times. You should have a heating option ready just in case you need it. :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts