Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background. Macy is now 3 years old. I've had her since she was 1 and a half. This summer I made her a two-level cage out of a dresser compared to a regular cage. She seems to love this cage. It makes me so happy to see her have more space to roam. The bottom level has a wooden hut and food/water while the top has her Carolina storm wheel she has had and loved since I adopted her.

About 3 months ago she stopped sleeping in her wooden hut once she learned she can dig up the fleece and get underneath it to sleep. It seems that once she gets under there, she sleeps A LOT more. She still ran on her wheel because it would still be poopy, but this past month her wheel has not been nearly as dirty and this week and last there was no poop on it. There was very little poop around the cage as well showing me she wasn't out and about that much. I hear her get out and about to eat and drink (but recently I don't think she's eating as much as she used to), but she's not on her wheel at all. Her weight hasn't increased or decreased. She's been a constant 280 grams since I had her and that was exactly what she was today when I cleaned her cage. For her body type, I believe that is a healthy weight. She has the teardrop shape. I am trying to get her to gain a little more though.

I have ordered a fleece cube from Etsy to try as a new bed. Hoping it will stop her from going under her fleece bedding and sleeping all the time. But I'm not even sure if that is the culprit for her reduced activity at night. It's no life to be sleeping all night and all day, just to get out and eat for a few minutes.

The temperature in her cage is a constant 80-83 F.

Do you think this could be old age? Does lack of activity just happen out of nowhere? I should be getting the new cube hut the beginning of February. Etsy still has not shipped it. I'm hoping she will like it and maybe her activity level will return to normal. But again, not even sure if sleeping under her fleece bedding is the cause of this lack of activity.

Side note, when I take her out in her playpen, she is very active. She doesn't like it and tries to escape (it seems to stress her out so she's not in there long)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could be old age. It could also be nothing. But if it is old age you have to understand that it's normal for hedgies to be less active. Three years is a lot for a hedgehog. The main thing you have to worry about is her weight and if she really needs exercise than you should probably take her out of her cage and let her roam around the house or a room. If you want to see how motivated she is than you can also give her a bath and see how long she swims until she stops for a break (while making sure the water is at a secure height).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts