Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here.

Well anyways, my hedgehog climbed out of his cage 1 week ago. I cannot find him anywhere. Now my question is...

1)What are the odds of him surviving? In in California next to the beach and its 58 at night and 80 at day.
2) Will they run away or just hang out in the yard?
3) Whens the best time to try to find him? Ive tired day and night.

Thank you guys! Hes about 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Where were you KEEPING your hedgehog? Please tell me it was inside the house, because since you're so worried about him being outside that makes me lean toward the idea that you were keeping him outside...which is NOT a good idea. If he was inside, as I'm hoping, what were the odds that he could get outside? Do you leave doors open during the day or anything?
You should be leaving a dish of food and a dish of water out for him in places he can find it. I hope he's in the house...where you should be looking at night when he'll be most active. Because if he's outside, the 58 degree weather will probably already have sent him into hibernation. Definitely set food and water out though, because they lose weight fast...

*edit* Check out this page. http://hedgehogvalley.com/hide.html */edit*

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was inside, his cage is about 5 feet off the floor so he took a nice fall. Hes in a room shut 24/7 but i took every single thing outside of the room. The front door of my house and garage are open almost 24/7, just a crack for the cats to get in and out. Cats haven't been acting weird they don't attack him just watch. Ive tried the food, in a few different rooms, and no luck. I waiting till 2 hours after dark and searched the house plenty of times with lights off + flash light. Other than that there is no tricks right?

And for them being illegal in California, who cares?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Porkybubs said:
He was inside, his cage is about 5 feet off the floor so he took a nice fall
That's AWFUL. If he survived a fall from that high, he's probably very seriously injured and will need to see a vet immediately, assuming you find the poor thing.

Porkybubs said:
He also had to go down stairs, do hedgehogs normally go down stairs?
I don't believe they do, but there's nothing saying that he didn't fall down the stairs.

Porkybubs said:
The front door of my house and garage are open almost 24/7, just a crack for the cats to get in and out
If he survived a 5 foot plummet and a fall down the stairs, then he's most likely gone. Hedgies are very clever when it comes to escaping. If he's been gone for a week, I doubt you will find him. And if you do, he will be very sick, injured, and hibernating or dead.

Porkybubs said:
You should!
"Hedgehogs are illegal in the entire state of California. California has a law that deems all animals not specifically listed as legal under State law as being illegal by default. Until such time as California's Department of Fish and Game is willing to consider hedgehogs for legal status, they will continue to be considered contraband pets and may be confiscated and either moved out of state or destroyed." (http://hedgehogcentral.com/illegal.shtml)

That doesn't bother you at all? It certainly bothers me..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Porkybubs said:
It's extremely irresponsible and selfish to own an animal where they are illegal, they can be confiscated and euthanized.
It's extremely unfair to put an animal's life in danger, just so you can have it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with those of you who are concerned about hedgehogs being illegal in California. That should be a concern, and porkybubs definitely needs to think about that in the future. I think the bigger concern right now, though, is finding the poor little guy.

He was probably hiding in something inside the room, like in the back of a couch/lounge chair (my cat likes to get in the back of our home recliner so if she can do it, a hedgie could too). Did you look in every dark place in the room and under everything? Get down on the floor and look around from his perspective. He could even be in a closet under clothing or some place similar. Near a heating vent, even. I'm not sure why you took everything out of the room, but it could be very hard to locate him now if you moved stuff all over the house. Try isolating every room. Shut all the doors you can, put up gates, etc. That way if he's in a certain room and moving around he won't be leaving that room. Put food and water in each room--preferably something smelly, like moist cat food or baby food (but I'm not sure how well that will work with your cats around so you might have to come up with something else). And if you DO find him, try to find somewhere else for the cage that's a little closer to the floor. And get a better top...

That said, I have to agree with sebian, though. It's not likely that you're going to find him in a healthy state if he's still alive. You might want to emotionally prepare yourself for that--and be ready for a FAST trip to the vet if he's still breathing. And if he's not, you should seriously reconsider before getting another.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright Thankys guys i will look around. How come he wouldn't not be in a healthy state, what if hes found himself a nice warm area and eats small bugs? Of course there is always water factor.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How about, for right now, we focus on helping the OP find his hedgie. And worry about the legal/illegal status later? True, it might affect the OP's ability to find a hedgie-friendly vet... But let's find the little guy first.

From what a hedgie expert named Vern had written awhile back let me offer the following:
"If you have her/him in your lap and fall asleep, s/he will eventually find his way to the floor; or if s/he escapes from his cage and gets loose, you have two choices: find her/him or let her/him find you.
If you start to search for her/him you are committed, it is too easy to inadvertently block her/him into a corner or crevice or between things as you move items around searching for her/him. This is absolutely crucial. If s/he cannot get out to water and food, the conclusion is self-apparent. Set her/his food dish and water out where s/he can get at it, and watch for him/her in the evenings.
There are several recommended methods of catching a wandering hedgehog: one trick is to
put his/her food and water in a brown paper bag, you will hear him/her as s/he walks on the paper; another option is to sprinkle a light dusting of flour on linoleum and hardwood floors, the telltale footprints will lead you to his/her hiding place (or at least assure you s/he is still among the living)."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Porkybubs said:
How come he wouldn't not be in a healthy state, what if hes found himself a nice warm area and eats small bugs? Of course there is always water factor.
how come? HOW COME? Surving a 5 foot fall, possibly tumbling down stairs, BEING COLD, not having food or water....oh yah, it's really difficult to see how those things could affect his health. :shock: The fall could have seriously injured him. The cold could lead to hibernation, or he could be starving. None of those things sound healthy to me. Of course it is possible that he found a heat source and has been eating spiders for a week, but probably not likely, and even so, still probably not healthy. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You could try setting up the top part of his cage (assuming it's a wire top) on the floor in the room with his normal setup under it (including food, water, treat, something to cuddle with) and leaving the door (again assuming it's wire) open and keep an eye on it. Hopefully he'll smell the food and at least you'll know he's eating something, although ideally he'd cuddle up and fall asleep...

If you were the only one to open the door to that room for a brief moment, then I can't imagine you wouldn't see/feel/hear him run past you, so he's probably still in the room hiding. Even though you already moved the furniture, check again. He may have gotten scared when you moved stuff around and changed hiding places. Just be sure you put plenty of food (and water) down all around and count the kibble (assuming you feed him kibble of some sort). Make sure you look under any dressers/beds/furniture and look in closets/crawlspaces. Hopefully you don't have a vent or anything in the room that he could've fallen down-- they can be very determined to open/move something if they set their minds to it.

I would also check adjacent rooms top to bottom. And if that doesn't work, I'd tear up the whole house.

Porkybubs said:
How come he wouldn't not be in a healthy state, what if hes found himself a nice warm area and eats small bugs? Of course there is always water factor.
A 5 foot drop is HUGE for such a small animal.That would be like me dropping a hedgie from my shoulders while standing. He more than likely injured himself and thus wouldn't be eating normally because he's in so much pain (assuming that it's just a broken leg and not some sort of punctured lung or something worse). If he landed on his back, that could very possibly be some sort of spinal injury, not to mention the pain from broken/bent quills.

Speaking of which, have you seen any quills lying around? If they're unhealthy, hedgies tend to get rid of them and grow new, healthier ones. Even from the stress of the fall, he more than likely lost a few. Perhaps he left a trail of quills behind...

I really really hope you find him :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The room he stays in is a guess room so there is only a bed / dressor / fridge / closet. I checked the whole out inside and out.

My biggest concern is my room next to it has a small hole in the wall because of a leak and we repaired it, he can be inside the walls but i would assume i could hear him walking around.

I will try the paper bag method, though my cats are kinda dumb and will maybe fight the bag.

If hes inside the house there is food + water upstairs and downstairs (dogs and cats). But i do no see one trace of him. He was a poop machine.

I have set up a camera for the front yard to see if he runs by or anything. Ive only seen a fat possum run by.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm sorry to say that unless he's hiding in your house he is probably not alive. Aside from everything else that has been said there are predators outside, especially in CA. :cry:

Hopefully he's found a safe place in your home and is just hiding there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
With your "lack of caring" responses to everything I would have to say you are a troll. You dont seem to care that he fell, you say you are the ONLY one to open the door yet you didnt see him get out, you casually mention about a hole in the wall and it being repaired so he might be in the wall, you dont seem to realize that if he is out side eating bugs that they could poisoned with pesticides AND you dont care about the laws in your own state which will put down your animal if they find that you have them.

The reason the law is like that in Ca is because of a situation like this! Ca law makers feel that if an hedgehog gets out, because they are not native to Ca that they will intrrupt the ecosystem.

I wouldnt be surprised with the stupidity that you have shown on here that some person came into your house and took your animals.. Since you have made every other horror possible.

I sincerely hope that someone else finds the hedgehog and finds it a proper home because your blatant disregard and stupidity you have about this situation proves you dont deserve an animal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Melissa said:
With your "lack of caring" responses to everything I would have to say you are a troll. You dont seem to care that he fell, you say you are the ONLY one to open the door yet you didnt see him get out, you casually mention about a hole in the wall and it being repaired so he might be in the wall, you dont seem to realize that if he is out side eating bugs that they could poisoned with pesticides AND you dont care about the laws in your own state which will put down your animal if they find that you have them.

The reason the law is like that in Ca is because of a situation like this! Ca law makers feel that if an hedgehog gets out, because they are not native to Ca that they will intrupt the ecosystem.

I wouldnt be surprised with the stupidity that you have shown on here that some person came into your house and took your animals.. Since you have made every other horror possible.

I sincerely hope that someone else finds the hedgehog and finds it a proper home because your blatant disregard and stupidity you have about this situation proves you dont deserve an animal.
Okay your comment was 100% dumb. I'm trying to think as positive as possible. So he fell 5 feet should i instantly think hes dead and stop looking? I took perfect care, i left down for 4 days, he has a big cage plenty of food and water, etc. I don't care enough about the CA law on hedgehogs, my hedgehog was well worth breaking the law. I hope you don't ever go over 45 mph and follow every single rule. For the bugs being poisonous that's like saying anything can be poisonous, odds are they aren't but can be.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.