Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERY 1 I HAVE 1 HEDGIE NAMED LILY SHE IS AN AMAZING ALBINO LITTLE GIRL. I got her in September she is 1 3/4 years old (almost 2 ) and i handle her every night she is super sweet but lately i have noticed she has been loosing a few quills a DAY!!! u don't notice it much but i did . I don't think she is quilling cuz 1. she is kind of old & 2. she is not at all grumpy.
I THOUGHT maybe she had MITES but i checked i did not c any white things movin' & she never itches & she has no dandruff & i read online (here) that if u look at the quills she lost , if there is no ball at the end its mites but THERE IS A WHITE BALL AT THE END plus I TOOK A QUILL THAT HAD FALLEN AND IT WASN'T VERY BENDY BUT IT WAS PRETTY EASY TO BREAK . I AM SUPER WORRIED PLEAZ SOME 1 RESPOND SHE STILL EATS , DRINKS AND POOPS AND PEES THE SAME AS BE4, SHE HAS MORE ENERGY THAN EVER ON HER WHEEL SO I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
whoever you got her from could have got the age wrong. another option would be stress. i hear a lot of hedgies lose quills from stress. i would check to make sure it isnt mites, though.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
From a previous thread... quills shouldn't snap so easily.
What are you feeding? Could also be a nutritional deficiency.

And there is no 100% sure way to tell if a hedgie has mites or not. So whether you still see the balls at the end, or you see clear skin, mites still could be the case.

Are there any bald spots? Or is she growing in as much as she's losing?

*Edit to add the link of the other thread, where the quills could be snapped easily.
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4147&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i am feeding her hedgehog food, high quality cat food mixed up and i feed her some bugs like meal worms and crickets every once an awhile, i really don't think she has mites she NEVER itches and does not have any bald spots but i will bring her to the vet just in case.thnx , SHE IS LOOSING JUST 3-5 (quills) A DAY BUT IT LOOKS LIKE ITS STARTING TO LIGHTEN UP :D At the moment i think i am going to go with the stress or the people who sold her to me got the age wrong. All they said was that they got her at a young age and she was pregnant and she gave birth at a suprizingly young age 4 a hedgie but anyway they decided to keep 2 baby hedgies instead of her. o and please dont go sayin "u should have made sure u checked ur hedgie well and picked better be4 u bought her" i have heard it be4 and it IS NOT TRUE! :x

BTW THNX TO ANY 1 WHO RESPONDED UR ALL VERY HELPFUL :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.