Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lily isn't loosing many quills anymore now its 1-2 a day or none! but today while giving her a warm bath i noticed ,that some of her quills are shorter...a lot shorter, like half the size of others,its hard to explain but they are still very pointy and sharp they simply r just shorter, stiffer too... they just stand right up...??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I can not say with 100% accuracy because I can't see your little one but a lot of times the shorter quills r still in the process of coming in all the way if they just got through losing some.

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Do the shorter quills look like they have been cut off from a larger quill and glued to the skin? If so those are new quills poking through. They grow in full size and evenually you will see them taper at the end like the rest of the quills.

If the shorter quills are also thinner, they could also be baby quills (I'm guessing this is a baby going through quilling?). Some baby quills can be a lot smaller than adult quills.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but see, this is why i called it "UPDATE" cuz i wrote something else wondering why she was loosing sooOOO many quills now as i said she doesn't loosE as much, but see, she is 2 YEARS OLD so how can she be quilling ???????
the new quills are poking through her skin and it seems to bother her just a teeny bit but shes no baby i can tell u that cuz she has had babys/HOGLETS .... at a young age but she did, so why is she quilling?

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Was there a major diet change for this hedgehog? I have one that will be 3 in March that is currently starting to quill. His is likely due to stress of coming to a new home as well as a major diet change (from crap food to good food). I've had him just over 5 months now, but we have had a lot of trouble getting him to switch foods. I have a few that quilled after they were 2 from diet changes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welll... thats probably it cuz 1st of all she has now stopped and yes it was a major change of food(also from crappy cat food to high quality low fat cat food with dried mealies and a bit of cricket)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts