Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took Ragnar to the vet about 3 weeks ago for a regular health check-up, because we were going to go on a holiday and a friend was so kind to take care of him in the meantime, I wanted to make sure he`s fine to move. Everything was okay, except for dry skin and a weight loss of 30 g compared to 6 months before (he went from 400 g to 373 g) and the vet became very worried because of it. Saying it`s better to do an X-ray next time if this continues and I have to monitor his weight. I bought kitten cat food and superworms and my friend gave it to him as requested, but he`s now back with 360 g :( As I get it, his absolute weight is fine, he isn`t a skinny hedgehog, but I am fearful he might fall under the healthy margin.

My question is - should I change his diet again and keep monitoring him for another couple of weeks or take him to the vet right away? I don`t think he was stressed out because of moving to my friend and back, because he adjusted very quickly and ate every single day. He has great appetite ever since, he`s using his wheel, the stool is also perfect and his mood is normal too. I even told my friend that she must become a hedgehog therapist because Ragnar is more friendly since he`s been with them, they had a really great time together, cuddling and playing and all.

His diet is the following: Carny wet cat food for 2 days (1,5 tablespoon), cooked meat (mostly minced beef) every 3rd day, insects every day (varies - crickets, locusts, mealworms, superworms), a cooked egg once every two weeks. Can I introduce something else that will get his weight higher?

Thanks in advance!

Here are recent photos:
Plant Hericium Mushroom Freezing Tree

Window Bird Beak Rodent Whiskers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5-10 from smaller insects, like mealworms and crickets. And 1-2 from bigger ones, like superworms. I also bought dubia once, but the way he killed the coackroaches made me feel sorry for them, for it looked like a slow and painful death :oops: He eats superworms in 2-3 seconds however. I won't give him mealworms anymore because of the chance of developing metabolic bone disease, hence the superworms. But I will try to give him more and see what happens, thank you for the tip :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts