Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, one of my hedgies is losing more quills than usual. About 7-8 a day. The apartment is a bit hotter this days (during the day) and cools down at night (not less than 72F). He eats the same and drinks the same and wheels the same. Maybe a bit less of water intake- like 5ml less. but overall everything is the same.
Vanya is about 6 month old.
Should I be worried?

·
Registered
666 Posts
he could just be going through another quilling since he is so young. some hedgies lose quills up to a year old and others will lose some their whole lives. if you're worried though you can get him into the vet to be checked and if needed treated for mites.

do you have a heating source for the hedgie? that drastic of a change in temperature can cause them to go into hibernation which can kill them. the temperature in his cage should never fluxtuate more than a degree or two.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Yeah I got him covered for the heat. And mites- we just went through Revolution treatment when I got him to eliminate all the possible mite problems. He just started losing his quills about 4 days ago- more than usual. Could frequent baths cause quill loss? I see new white quills growing though....it is just I have never seen so many lose quills in the area where he sleeps.
Could he potentially be allergic to the food I am giving him (Innova for cats)? Or could that be a sign of stress? he wasn't handled before me so he is going through the process of getting used to socializing.
I am just trying to figure this one out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts