Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so my hedgie Stella has been having some loose stool the past couple of days and I heard watered down pumpkin purée is a good way to stiffen up their stool, but how much should I be giving her?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi so my hedgie Stella has been having some loose stool the past couple of days and I heard watered down pumpkin purée is a good way to stiffen up their stool, but how much should I be giving her?
I personally have never used pumpkin with my hedgie, but just try a small amount if you have confirmed it’s safe for them. See if the stool gets better, and if it doesn’t add a little more at the next mealtime. I’m talking for the first time maybe like 1/4th tablespoon or a little over. And then increase. What is the hedgehogs current diet?

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
557 Posts
I just put a big spoon in another dish next to her food and let her eat as much as she wants. She loves it :)

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
I've never needed it as my girl has never had problems with this, but generally about a tablespoon (15g) is enough to help.

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
The question is, why does she have loose stools? Is she on medication? Been sick? New home/stress? Diet change? Are the stools watery, just loose, are they green colored, more frequent than normal, etc. Hedgehog GI can get messed up easily from stressors... how to deal with it depends on the stressor. For example, some medications can cause loose green stools. Adding in a probiotic at the right time between doses can resolve the issue.

If you aren't certain what is causing it, and depending on the severity of the loose stools she may need to see a veterinarian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts