Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I tried making a bucket wheel (I didn't have a 5 gallon bucket, so I made one out of an ice cream bucket...) and guess what? It turned out like a piece of crap. :lol: So now I think I might have to fork over the money and buy one from someone who actually knows what they're doing lol. Anyways, could somebody give me some links to some websites that sell good bucket wheels?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I think you will find that $30 is the going rate for bucket wheels. People all tend to price the same as the materials all cost the same, except for those of us in Canada who pay twice as much for the materials as those in the US. :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot. Well, I don't know what I can do until I have the money to buy one then. The piece-o-crap wheel that I made doesn't spin right and is attached to a storage bin, so there's really nothing holding it up. I didn't have any small pvc pipe so I couldn't make a stand for it. Is there anything I can do for my hedgie until then? I don't want him to get bored and lazy :p I do have a large run-about ball for him, but he poops in it all the time and I'm always having to clean it out so he doesn't get much of a chance to run! But I guess that's what I'll have to do until then. Thank you for the replies, though :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hedgehogsbyvickie.com has some. There are three differant kind of bucket wheels there, and they come in 6 colors (including white, red, green, orange, yellow, blue).

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
IMO, there are better wheels available than the Vickie wheels. Hers are not angle adjustable so the angle that's there is all there is. If it is slanted too much for the particular hedgehog, the wheel is useless. Sometimes babies and older hedgehogs need a very slight backwards angle.

Hedgehog wheels by Chet are good as are the ones made by Sunshine Quills. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nevermind, I found it. Thanks nancy.

Would you prefer Chet's wheels, or sunshine quills wheels? Just wondering =] the sunshine quills wheels are much more colorful, but I don't know how much shipping would cost, and theres not much info about the wheels on the website.

·
Registered
412 Posts
All of our guys have wheels by Vickie. I'm a fan of them coming in two sizes, but they tend to get out of center really fast and thus make a lot of noise. The first night we gave it to Damian, he figured out how to undo the nut/bolt gig in the back and it came off the stand while he was running. NO INJURIES and we got to him quickly, but the look on his face was definitely "mommy why am I SITTING in the wheel and not RUNNING?" They're also a little bit expensive when including shipping/handling. My father is attempting making some of his own, but if that doesn't work, I don't think we're going to buy Vickie's again. The wheels on Sunshinequills look a bit lighter too.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Bucket wheels are not difficult to make, just time consuming. I used to use screws to attach the roller blade wheel to the bucket but have started using zip ties and they work much better and are so much easier to properly align the wheel than screws were. If you dad needs any advise, have him email me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you, Nancy. Sorry. I couldnt find anyone else, not personally having tried her product. Thanks for the recommendations for the wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.