Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

So I have not been on HC in a long time, a very long time.. I had just gotten my second hedgehog Alfie (Maisy died of old age in '10) and was in love when my allergies started acting up, badly! I had multiple asthma attacks and got taken to the ER a few times so my parents assumed it was the new hedgehog and forced me to get rid of him, it was horrible :( I then finally got my allergies sorted out a few months later and discovered that it was nothing to do with my pets, I was not a happy bunny but gave up on the whole pet thing because I only have a year left of high school...

ANYWAY, today I was on my way to the mall when I saw a box on the side of the road and a sign saying free hedgehogs, I pulled over and peeked in the box and inside was a TINY albino hedgie who was basically passed out. For those of you who live in the midwest, you know how hot it has been, it was 105 where I live today and I found this hedgehog around 1pm :( I knocked on the house's door and no one was home, but frankly I didn't care because I didn't want her going back in to that house. So after a trip to the vet, she has been given the all clear and he says she is only about five weeks old. She is very small! I ran out and got some emergency supplies (a plastic tub for a cage and some food) and brought her home. After drinking two bowls of water, having some food and a nice nap, she is looking much better. She badly needs a bath, but I don't want to do that just yet as she has been through a lot today.

So I introduce to you.. SNUFFLES! My brother and boyfriend decided on the name because she has been making these adorable, almost affectionate snuffling noises. She is the sweetest little thing and is currently asleep in my hand and is not scared at all. I have been so angry and upset today, but I am happy to welcome her into a much better home! Oh and I reported those ******** who left her outside... :evil: My parents aren't keen on me keeping her with college and everything, but I am so in love and attached at this point that I will work something out..

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Welcome back, but I'm sorry to hear it is under such circumstances. Oh not that she has a good home now, but just the pure fact of where she came from... holy cow.

If she is indeed as young as the vet thinks, watch her weight carefully, and ensure she is eating well. She would likely just now be weening. Looking at her image, she certainly has a baby face. What a sweet little face too.

Good for you for reporting them, hopefully the authorities will actually do something.

She's lucky you found her when you did.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Oh my gosh. Poor wee baby. She is so lucky it was you that found her. She certainly does look young. Make sure she is able to crunch the kibble. Many breeders wean babies onto Royal Canin Baby Cat which is tiny little east to eat pieces. It also gives the extra fat that young babies need.

Can't wait to see more pictures and hear of her progress. She is adorable. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the kind words :) I did purchase Royal Canin Baby Cat, I did a quick search on my iphone while standing in petsmart because it suddenly occurred to me that she might not be able to chew very well! Thank goodness for technology.. I will keep you all updated!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
*insert non-child friendly remarks about people who did this here*

Thank goodness you found her!!!!!!!! At least now she'll be in good hands with you. She's probably going to have a bout of diarrhea on the way, so be sure to make sure she's drinking lots. Pedialyte might not be a bad idea as well as some pumpkin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
People like that makes me lose faith in people,
People like you restores my faith however,
You were meant to find the hedgie and I'm so glad you were
in time.
Good luck and Thank you for being a good person :p

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Immortalia said:
*insert non-child friendly remarks about people who did this here*.
Seconded this. My jaw dropped at the thought, I can't even believe it. Clearly you were meant to find this little girl...and I'm SO glad you did. She's absolutely freaking adorable and will have such a fantastic home with you. :) I can't wait to see and hear more about her, she's just so cute!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the lovely comments :) I am pleased to announce she is up and running around and is currently gobbling her food down at an astonishing rate! She also left me some nice poops to clean up..

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am horrified by what those people did! You were meant to find little Snuffles, I'm so glad that adorable little girl has you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am soooo happy you found her!!!! I have a special spot in my heart for albinos!!!! I think I love them more than coloured ones(but I love all hedgies)!!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Aw, poor Snuffles! I'm so glad the story has a happy ending though. I'd like to throw those people out into the 105 sun for the day. How cruel! Thank goodness you came along and rescued her!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Omg, it is so awful what people can do to animals! For example, there are many cases of people leaving dogs to die in cars just so they can go shopping! If someone decides to have a pet, they should also bear the full responsibility of taking care of one properly. Did it appear that there were more hedgehogs in the box? It means there's probably a mother hedgehog and maybe more babies that still live with those awful people. =( I am so glad you reported them.

By the way, she is adorable and so very lucky. <3 Now you have the perfect study buddy! She could quietly keep you entertained while you study and time will pass right by. :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
ehanton said:
For those of you who live in the midwest, you know how hot it has been, it was 105 where I live today and I found this hedgehog around 1pm :(
:evil: That is absolutely INFURIATING! I'm glad you found her before it was too late, but I truly don't believe the people who put her outside in the weather we've been having should get away with it. Maybe you should give your local police department or your nearest humane society a call and report them for animal abuse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
she's such a sweetie. I have a special place in my heart for rescue animals. and there's a special place in you-know-where for people who do that kind of thing. at least she's found someone to love her now. all animals deserve that; esp hedgies (even if they are grumpy and huffy like my little rescue is :p) they're such innocent little things, and all they need is someone to love and care for them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts